1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1970 GT

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Is all the welding done now? The video looks great, I didn't have the sound on loud enough to hear it clearly but it does sound nice. :)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jamezz666 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:28 pm

1972nail wrote:Is all the welding done now? The video looks great, I didn't have the sound on loud enough to hear it clearly but it does sound nice. :)

Ye all the welding is done now, just waiting for my mate to sand the body ect. I think he's spraying it will a layer of filler primer and then he's going to sand it and then spray on 2k paint. I didn't expect it too sound the way it does for a slant 4, but home made twin pipes has done the trick :D just need to buy all the rubber glass seals, stick all the parts back on and have the wheels refurbed, then I'll be on the road to freedom 8)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm

Well everyone.. Here is a bit of a story for you! I will say before i start, i am now in a happier mind set and not feeling the need to open a can of whoop a.ss!
So i finished doing all the body 3 and a half months ago and the chap doing the checks to the body, a long with any finishers he may need to do, done hes job and this is where all hell broke loose.. I clearly stated to him and about 5 other people that i'm wanting/having the car in Opel Power Red and he tells me that's fine and he will be right on it. 2 months down the line, i'm in bed on my day off and my dad gives me a call and this is how it goes
Dad: James your viva is on the drive? (our work unit)
Me: Huh? what do you mean it's on the drive?
Dad: Well.. It's been left on the drive and i'm not sure you're going to like what you will see..
Me: i'll be round there in a minute

So as i'm pulling up outside my unit, i notice it standing out like a swore thumb in bright orange! yes orange! so i immediately put the car in the unit as it just started to rain and i rushed down to the chap next door to ask him why it's orange and when is he going to resolve the problem, for him to tell me he had tore down his booth on the weekend and will no longer be spraying again! i was more than fuming! as i have just lost £1000 on a spray job!
so cutting the story shorter now, i spent 2 weeks flatting it back to remove the imperfections, ready to just spray it myself and shut business for a bit, so i could get the car done.

As you can see from the photo's, there is a big difference in colour. I'm now waiting a couple of weeks for the red paint to fully cure, then i'll start flatting the imperfections to eventually end up with a nice finish hopefully.

photo upload site

So hopefully by the end of this year, it will be all back together and on the road 8)
i didn't get chance to get many images when it was orange, as i was far to angry to think about doing that.

All that's left to do is buy some screen rubbers + weather strips/ fit all the parts back on/ Have the wheels refurbed and tyres changed and change the front brake hoses.
Is the front brake hoses for the GT the same as the 1159cc hoses?
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 am

Good to see some progress and glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Why did he spray it orange though?!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm

Kraken wrote:Good to see some progress and glad to hear you’re feeling better!

Why did he spray it orange though?!

I'm unsure to be honest. I was Effing and a blinding too much to ask why, but word has recently got round too me that apparently i asked for it in ford sunburst red :? didn't even know of the colour until i was told about it :lol:

I'm now awaiting on some different grits of sandpaper and hopefully over the next couple of weeks, i can start to remove the imperfections from the paint. It will also be my first time using a buffer and cutting compounds! so i'm a little nervous while learning about how to do it and what equipment/products to use.

I was saying to fred the other week, i've never been to a car show in all the years i've had classics. So i'm hoping to turn up to the viva meets next year in her :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:26 pm

jamezz666 wrote:I'm now awaiting on some different grits of sandpaper and hopefully over the next couple of weeks, i can start to remove the imperfections from the paint. It will also be my first time using a buffer and cutting compounds! so i'm a little nervous while learning about how to do it and what equipment/products to use.

Don't start too rough - half the problems I have with my paint finish are scratches from my attempts to remove orange peel that I can't get rid of, because I started lopping the top off with too rough a grade of paper.

Pity about the colour error, though - £1000 for a decent respray (presuming it was 2k paint and generally food) is a bargain these days.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Colin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Good to see it coming together, James.

I've learnt over the years to put instructions in writing to prove what was said.

I had a similar issue a few years ago with the supplier of a twin stainless exhaust system for my Mk I GT. I gave him a photocopy of the Vauxhall service manual page showing the factory early twin exhaust system and asked him to replicate it. Just as original, but in stainless steel.

I came back a few days later to find a car fitted with a very loud customised cherry bomb exhaust system. Suppressing my rage I asked him why he had ignored my instructions?

It turned out he didn't understand what the word 'replicate' meant... :roll:

He replaced the system with a proper replica in the end -at his expense.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:26 am

quick update: the front end has some parts fitted, but i need to buffer the rest of the car, as i was a bit too eager to see what it would look like :lol: . i managed to get the and rear lights working, as they was playing up but i'm still stuck with the brake lights not working. I crossed the two brake light switch wires and nothing happened, so i'm going to put it down too, poor connection.

After i've finished buffing and sorting the brake lights, i'll then be moving onto the fuel gauge/sender, as it's got a live shorting problem, as the gauge is always reading max.

I also purchase a pair of 1 3/4 SU carbs from a Rover P6, that i'll look at fitting next year.

Here is a couple pictures of her so far

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri May 22, 2020 12:44 pm

jamezz666 wrote:After i've finished buffing and sorting the brake lights, i'll then be moving onto the fuel gauge/sender, as it's got a live shorting problem, as the gauge is always reading max.

Doesn't it reading max mean that it's an earth short rather than a live one? Or are HBs positive earth?

As I recall it on my HCs, one side of the gauge gets normal positive running voltage, and the other side goes to earth via the potentiometer that makes up the sender unit. So reading "max" suggests the connection to the sender is going straight to earth.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamezz666 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 pm

droopsnoot wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:After i've finished buffing and sorting the brake lights, i'll then be moving onto the fuel gauge/sender, as it's got a live shorting problem, as the gauge is always reading max.

Doesn't it reading max mean that it's an earth short rather than a live one? Or are HBs positive earth?

As I recall it on my HCs, one side of the gauge gets normal positive running voltage, and the other side goes to earth via the potentiometer that makes up the sender unit. So reading "max" suggests the connection to the sender is going straight to earth.

It's a negative earth. I had a few people tell me it would be the live shorting, between the gauge and the sender unit. I'm no electrics person, but the that's how i was reading it. I'm now even more confused :lol: But we could say for certain.. there's a short in the wire
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration