Ohc Oil pump

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Ohc Oil pump

Postby 1600ohc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 am

Hi,
I've finally got my 1600 Hc on the road and Mot'd( with much help from Maz) But my oil pump seems very lazy taking over a minute to get pressure when cold. I think it needs a new pump or at least new O rings, have stripped and cleaned it, new oil etc already. Would be grateful for any suggestions or does anyone have a good pump they want to sell? Also is there anywhere I can get my SL front door cards recovered? (cracked in the usual places) Thanks
1600ohc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Ohc Oil pump

Postby MattHC1600SL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Try new O rings as you say, also strip and clean the inside of the pump, letting it soak overnight if need be to get all the sludge out of the valve at the bottom. Failing that yes you need a new pump - Adrian did have some new AE ones at one time.
Door cards - they are the same as mine with one piece moulded arm rests, cracked round the top of the arm rests? I had mine done by a local trimmer, he covered just the arm rest and it looks quite good, if not totally original. I think he charged about £60 each - if any use I can dig his number out. Matt.

---- 1600ohc <restoration@vauxhallviva.com> wrote:
Hi,
I've finally got my 1600 Hc on the road and Mot'd( with much help from Maz) But my oil pump seems very lazy taking over a minute to get pressure when cold. I think it needs a new pump or at least new O rings, have stripped and cleaned it, new oil etc already. Would be grateful for any suggestions or does anyone have a good pump they want to sell? Also is there anywhere I can get my SL front door cards recovered? (cracked in the usual places) Thanks

Vauxhall Viva HC 1600 OHC SL TDL 533J
Honey Starmist / Black Vinyl Roof
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 am

Do you know what type the pump is, there are three,
the early vane type (not very good),
the later four lobe (and four screw) gear rotor (the best one),
the late five lobe (three screw) gear rotor (ish one).

We, Gryphon Design and Manufacture, are almost ready to offer a complete refurb service for the gear rotor pumps.
This includes new o-rings, screws and inner and outer gear rotors.
All machined to a high tolerance and works better than the pumps did when new.
Should be about £100 for a four lobe and £130 for the five lobe.
If it's a a vane pump then look for a replacement as they fail without warning and totally.

If it takes that long to draw up the oil then I would advise you not to run the engine at all until it is fixed.

Steve.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1600ohc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:55 am

Thanks Matt I think I'll try another strip and clean as you say, Yes I would be grateful for your trimmers details please. I'll check with Adrian aswell. Hopefully I wont need a new one.
Jason
1600ohc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1600ohc » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks Shamm, I think it's the four lobe type
1600ohc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Restoration