Viva HB

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva HB

Postby opelscott22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi Phil!
Yep, all parts which cause problems meet with a hammery end. :D

Ive just been tidying wiring and doing brake pipes just now, still waiting on my delivery from Burtons...Ive got the block up on the stand, Im tempted to strip the paint off and paint it red. any thoughts? Ive always done my engines black so theyre easy to keep looking clean but I think a red engine would be kind of cool in this car, would go well with the blue?

Im also thinking about my rear axle again, I had a company in Latvia make me some wheel adaptors to change from ford PCD to vauxhall PCD with centre location. They work well but they are slightly too wide and make the tyre rub.
The other reason is my big front brakes wont fit in my 13" wheels....So, until I can find a set of 14" wheels I actually like I may go with standard viva rear axle and front brakes for now. Least then I can get the car working and do the modifications later instead of trying to do everything at once!

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi Scott,

Agree with you regarding the black engine, hides oil/dirt etc much better!!
Red would look good though so personal choice really.

That why you are selling the Superlights? Must admit, I had a look on Midland wheels website when I saw you were selling them to see what they looked like and they are a cool looking wheel.

That blue on the Viva is lovely.

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Been busy again today, put the engine together again and slotted it back in the hole. Put the new oil pump on and spun it over and...success!! we have oil pressure! 8)

Ive fitted my new gearbox aswell, I bought a second hand Quaife clubman gear kit so well see if the ratios suit the crossflow. I havent built a box for a while so heres hoping it works!

Im glad to have the motor finally bolted in, its good to know it doesnt have to come out again! Through the week Ill fit the carbs, wire the fuel pump and go for a start and see if the thing actually runs!

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

That sits a long way back, doesn't it.
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Been at it again today, I wired up the fuel pump fitted the carbs and exhaust. I spent a while filing the manifold to allow the boltheads to sit flush as some of the welds were in the way.
Sorted the ignition timing to somwhere near and went for a start.....mmm I smell fuel.

Turns out one of my carbs is leaking from the float bowl, took the bowl off and the float was burst and wasnt closing the valve.....bugger.

Im not even sure what the carbs are off so I might just fit the spare R1 carbs I have and drill the jets to suit. At least I know they work!!

This car will see the road this year!!! :D

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm

I havent looked near this for a few days as I discoverd an oil leak at the back of the block. I had used heavy grease on the sump gasket and seals upon the advice of a friend of mine, turns out that doesnt work too well on a crossflow as it was leaking from the rear seal housing where the rubber bits meet the gaskets...
Im refusing to take the engine out again so I dropped the crossmember instead. Also means I can make a neater job of the brake pipe which runs across the crossmember. I think its going to be fun fitting it back up again as the steering coupling will be pretty unwilling to go back onto the rack, might enlist the misses when the time comes!

Im waiting on a new set of HD gaskets coming then it will be properly sealed up this time!

Scott

HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby wolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Please tell me you're not using a copper tube for the brake lines....
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

Theyre not copper, theyre Cunifer, a copper alloy.

Whats the issue with copper? Its used all over the country by many people. I only use Cunifer as I have loads of it...

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby wolf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Two issues with copper:

1. It's not strong enough for brake pressures (easily >1000 psi)
2. It work hardens from vibration (i.e. driving) that makes it brittle.

Thus it's typically illegal to use in many (most?) countries.
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 am

Never heard that before, I have used it for years and so has everyone else I know in the classic car scene, do you have any more info on it???
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration