Viva HB

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Viva HB

Postby hbpeter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 pm

If thats what you call 'Having a go', I hate to think what you could do if you really put your mind to it!!! Very impressive. :respekt: :rock1:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:30 am

oooofffff that looks very sexy! :D nice job! crossflows just look so right in a viva.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks guys 8)

I had a go at making the centre section of the exhaust today. I got as far as the rear axle and decided to lower the car and check for ground clearance....oh dear. I have gone under the gearbox mount just after the manifold and it leaves me about 2" of ground clearance and its the same where the first silencer is.
I'll have to start again and go over the gearbox mount, might have to either tuck the silencer as far up as I can get it or just use a back box wth no center silencer...Im thinking it might be too loud then!!
No pictures Im afraid as the misses has been tidying and I cant find my camera.... :|

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby daveyboy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:33 pm

Its a small world lol!!!

Im the person who sold you the manifold and bike carbs!!!! me likey the look of that in a viva :mrgreen:

NICE :respekt:
daveyboy
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Graeme » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Im doing the exact same at the moment with my HB and exhaust. At the moment im im using flexi from the down pipe to a straight through center section and a flexi part over the rear axle and a single rear box, its only on a 1159cc so shouldnt be loud at all. But with yours could get a single back box that is quiet that will be ok. Im personally using a rear box from my viva and the pipe trimmed so its a hidden back box but my car is a euro style.
Graeme
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby opelscott22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Having a few problems with the newly rebuilt and expensive engine....I took the plugs out and spun it over to get some oil pressure before I go for a start up. Oh dear. No oil pressure to be had.
Thinking it may just take a bit of time I spun it for a fair while safe knowing I had used plenty of Graphogen on the shells when I built it.
I couldnt get any oil pressure and its a fresh engine so i took the oil pump off and dismantled it. I cant remember where I bought it but it is supposed to be a high pressure job. Turns out its scrap. the impellor fell to pieces when I took the cover off and its full of swarf and metal from chewing itself up.
I then drained the oil from the engine to find the oil has metal in it too......great, now my freshly built motor will have to come back out, be stripped and might even be scrap.

Dont you just love old cars!!! :evil:
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:26 pm

its a shame you cant remember where you bought it from. Man i would be so
p issed off!
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Man that sucks, I hope they not only give you a good one but your money back to cover the cost of oil and rebuilds....

:kick:
pbottomley

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 pm

I took the oil pump outside today and beat it flat with a lump hammer....no more pump!

I took the engine out today and stripped it. I didnt find any major damage just some light scuffing to the shells so its not a total disaster. The shells are ACL heavy duty jobs so Ill clean them and reuse them. Ive ordered up a gasket set,HP pump and other bits and pieces from Burtons so by the time they get here Ill have all the parts through the hot wash tank at work( great big dishwasher with nasty chemicals) and laid out on the bench ready for the build.
Heres hoping this is the last time this engine has to come apart, I like building engines but this takes the pis$!

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby phil dawson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey Scott,

Is that what you do with all dodgy parts....beat the *Bleep* out of them with a lump hammer :?: Bet you felt much better after it though!!!
How are you getting on with the build?

Phil
phil dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration