HC Viva Resto

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC Viva Resto

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:30 am

Im new to this Forum and have been advised that you all would like to know how my Viva project is coming along.
So... after blowing up the 1256 engine for the second time the viva sat dormant on the drive for about 6 months, no longer could I bare it to be there just rotting away, at which point I thought it deserved a full stripdown and rebuild.
At this time my friend was looking for a lockup to restore his Beetle, between us this made affording a unit much easier.
Stripdown - As paint was getting stripped, more bad areas emerged - front valance was almost completely filler and mesh, front wings were rotten, I found a wheel arch pop-riveted on top of the old wheel arch with a huge filler job down the entire rear quarter, boot lid never fit correctly which led me to believe the one corner of the car had been rear-ended at some point. So yeah,... amongst other rusty areas the body was is pretty bad shape.
As the project has progressed, my ideas keep changing - was going to be an easy restore but I wanted more power which has led to many options as you may know, main issue has been locating a rear axle, Magnum one would have been preference, but I had no luck with this choice, many suggestions have been made to me but the one that stood out most is "try a BMW E30 axle, its been done before" has it? well thats where I am at now, and I have to say I think its going to work great! For the Engine I was looking at the XE Redtop jobby, but have now decided to use a 2.0 zetec/Duratec mating to a type9 5 speed.

Bodywork has been fun and with the liitle amont time and lack of experience that I have the last few years has beared fruits, still a few areas of the body to pay attention to. Now I have moved on to the axles - Rear axle as mentioned above. Front axle is now prepped for rebuild, all new poly bushes to be fitted.

I think I've typed enough, so heres a small selection of pics to salivate over.
There are loads more pictures so if there is anything inparticular that you wish to see just ask.
Attachments
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HC Viva Resto

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 am

Some more pics
Attachments
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:34 am

Last 3 for now
Attachments
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby viva les vegas » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am

looks like it's going to be a brand new car when it's done :D
Remember, some days you're the statue, and others, you're the pigeon ;)
Life is a journey, not a destination.

used to be HB259
viva les vegas
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:29 am

I so hope.

Another couple of years yet I reckon.
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Wow, you dont mess about!! Never heard of a BMW axle being used. Excellent so far.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Thanks for the positive replys!
I have been messing about the last 3 and a half years, I expected to do all this in two, or maybe my expectations were set far too high, not only that but I keep changing ideas.

One thing I've never made my mind up about is Colour, Any ideas? I like 'Candy Tangerine' or maybe a satin orange.

Martyn
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby mazzo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Well done - that's some major work and progress. A bit confused by the pics. Is the first one the original car? There seems to be a donor car and then another but whatever, it is looking seriously good.
:respekt:

As for colour - the top photo, if that was the colour as it appears in that photo, it is a lovely colour. If you like your cars a bit sporty (which it sounds like you might!!) then go for a bright colour, doesn't matter which.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Martyn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah the first pic is the original car, 2door 73 deluxe 1256.
There has been a donor car (1975 4 door) during a period of time. I felt quite bad about shredding another Viva apart, but if I didn't have it' it was getting scrapped. Shame really because the body was in great shape, it looked a bit worse for wear and was a non-runner but had no filler or rust, I would have swapped the project to the donor but I preferred the 2 door shape.
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Martyn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Been working on the front suspension arms this week, front beam is yet to come back from the powdercoaters.
I've added a pic of the rear beam at the stage it currently is.
Attachments
Martyn
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Restoration