RDG, HB 1600....the saga begins

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: RDG, HB 1600....the saga begins

Postby tony west » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Right then a little update!.
I managed to source a 'new' servo from Carpenters......shock horror !!, they were cheaper than the other supplier I found ! :shock: , I also invested in a new master cylinder....which has now to go back from whence it came as it refused to work !. So the original is back in place ...and working well !.
Well since the engine was persuaded to work on all four cylinders it has had a terrible flat spot which along with the knackered servo made driving it " interesting "....youve guessed it :lol: , a nice new shiny carb arrived this week, jetted for the 1600! which has transformed the throttle reponse...it now has one !!! 8) and yes of course during all this the MOT ran out !....its booked in for tuesday so please offer a little prayer in the direction of Luton on tuesday !!.
The newly reaquired braking ability has of course shown up just how soft the front springs are and self lowering they have become with age ! :imsmiling: ......so then some suspension work on the horizon !!.
Cheers Tony
tony west
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby tony west » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Just a little update to the update !.....'it' passed its MOT !!! and with no advisories :lol: so now Ive decided to bite the bullet and treat 'it' to some window rubbers , thats £200 sent to Oz land !.
Will let you all know how I get on with del, fitting and quality.
Cheers Tony :hapbirthday3: :hapbirthday3: :woohoo:
tony west
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby tony west » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:35 am

Time for the Crimbo update !!!.
Since the last posting Ive replaced both uj's( not for the short fused!!!), replaced the gearbox rear oil seal....still leaks !and fitted a set of second hand GT front springs....impressed myself by remembering how to swap springs by only removing two bolts!!...and none were seized, so there is a god !. The springs have made the single greatest improvement to the handling .Last weekend I was made aware that the waterpump had 'retired'...temp showed normal!...old Vauxhall gauges bless! still I should be grateful for the cold weather which has probably saved the engine from harm !.
I use the car every day for work and I have to say it has never let me down yet, starts first time every day no matter how cold it has been....just wish the heater was as efficient !!....has anyone upgraded an Hb heater ??, I have been thinking about replacing the matrix with a more modern efficient core....thoughts please!.
This time of year also reminds you of just how poor the standard headlamps are , long ago I fitted halogen bulbs as a straight swap and they worked well but that was on a car fitted with an alternater but this one has the original dynamo...anyone tried halogen bulbs with this set up ??, wasnt sure if the dynamo would cope !.
Crimbo Cheers Tony.
tony west
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 am

Good to hear Tony, after all the fun when you first got the car :D
pbottomley

Postby mazzo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Tony

Happy New Year.

I've put halogens in my green and red HCs. In the red one when I first did it (back in the 80s...) it burnt a couple of switches out really easily as they can't cope with the increased current drain, so I rigged it up with relays. Done that in the green one. Two relays on the inner wing with a hefty feed direct from the battery to two inline fuses, then to the relay. Works a treat. Got the halogen replacement bulbs off ebay so they were a direct fit rather than fiddling about with the bulb holder in the headlamp itself.

The difference is noticeable. :goodideasign:

I've not done the matrix thing but have had similar thoughts in the past. I have a major prob with the heater in green HC at the moment. It is the earlier flap type and basically - they don't work! I guess the seals have gone so I only ever get tepid air and if I put it onto feet, I still get freezing air through the windscreen vents. Add to that, the heater motor died the week before Christmas, so I need to pull this whole thing apart fairly soon as it's impossible to clear the screen. I'll watch to see how you get on if you do it and I may have a go myself.

Maz
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration