Removing Underseal

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Removing Underseal

Postby vauxhallbitz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Last weekend I spent two days removing a very thick layer of underseal from the front of my Viva. I was not sure of the best way to remove it and eventually decided to go for a wire wheel and grinder. Despite the fact that the underseal looks awful it has preserved the front valance as it is in perfect condition.

Here we see the car before I started.

Removing the worst of the underseal with a scraper before using the wire wheel

Painting the valance Monaco White

The finished article, a big improvement and well worth all the effort.

I could not resist trial fitting the twin headlight grille along the way, I think it looks so much better so might be tempted this winter................!!! I think that the original single headlight panels could be removed and replaced later if required without spoiling the car by carefully drilling out the spot welds.

1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Removing Underseal

Postby opelscott22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Thats made a massive difference! Well done. Its a horrible job scraping that stuff off, somtimes it can hide all kind of nasties, looks like you got lucky there!

If you ever need to take any more off use the scraper to get the worst off like you did then use a blowtorch and a wire brush to get the rest off, doesnt need loads of heat and shifts whats left very well.

(Im scared of wire brushes in grinders because Im a wimp!!)

Scott.
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Hello Scott,

Thanks for that, I have the sills and rear valance to tackle now, I know how to enjoy myself!!

Regards, Fraser.
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:44 am

Wow! Super clean valance under all that, I am jealous. Mine has rust runs all over it, all needs a good clean up :(

Where did you get your Monaco White from and is it a good match? I've got two different mixes of Monaco White and neither are a good match.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Sun May 01, 2011 9:53 am

Hello,

Thanks for your comments. As I stupidly decided to do the work on a Bank Holiday weekend my only option was to go to Halfords and get them to mix the paint. They have two versions of Monaco White I think the codes are 415 and 435 or something like that, one of them had the dates 1989 to 1976 so I went for that one and I am pleased with the results. Both types also had the 7WH paint code.

I think that the match is good but it is difficult to tell as some parts of my car have been repainted by the first and only owner and they are not quite right, however comparing the valance to the bonnet which has not been painted I think the match is pretty good.

The cans cost me £13.95 each for 300ml, I don't know how that compares with a paint shop but sometimes you just have to go where you can get it.

The valance underneath the underseal was completely rust free and in perfect order however someone has welded in two very small patches on either side of it joining the wings to the valance, the job has been done well but would have to be removed if the wings ever needed replaced. I don't think it was done in the factory unless anyone knows otherwise - were the Viva E wings fixed this way??? I see no reason for it to be done by the first owner as there is no rust in either the wings or the valance!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Hmm thats odd, I know at least one of my mixes is from Halfords, can't remember where I got the other from though. The one from halfords is far too yellowy. My front end has been repainted before too although the wings match the rest of the car and the bonnet appears to be a mix of two whites and fair share of rust. Yours looks much cleaner than mine!
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed May 04, 2011 9:54 pm

I must admit I was a bit aprehensive about going to Halfords for the paint but I am pleased with the results, I am about to do the same on my Conifer Green Viva so will let you know if the match for that is any good.

What year is your car?
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby oli8925 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Mine's a 1975.

I can't remember which one of their Monaco Whites I got, but I tested it on some scratches and chips on the inside of the doors and it's a really different colour, much much creamier, rather than white. Now I remember I got half way through prepping the old bonnet from my Mini so I could hold it up to the Viva for a proper comparison. I'll have to continue with that.
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu May 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Visited Halfords today and they have no trace of Conifer Green so I will have to go elsewhere - typical!!
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration