ha Roma restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: ha Roma restoration

Postby midlands_nick » Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm

this bit is so thin I can actually shape it with minimal finger pressure...........

:shock:
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby StefanM » Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Why dont you try to locate a a more solid HA Van instead and use the Roma parts from this one? It is not very practical to repair extensive rustdamage as seen in these pictures. If you can not find complete replacement panels you will end up with a very bodged up body.........
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby midlands_nick » Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm

ive been trying for two years to find a better body... all are either a major patchwork around the same areas or stupid amounts of money ... ask Paul about the "new cills, new chassis rails, new wheel arches" van we went to pick up from Poole.......... what a waste of 200 quid that was.......
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed May 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Yea waste of a good cash :oops: finding vans is now a real exercise in luck
pbottomley

Postby midlands_nick » Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 pm

on a plus though PB.. you got YOUR cash back lol.... the comapny I hired teh car transporter off werent quite so understanding lol
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby midlands_nick » Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm

well seeing as it was raining yet again tonight (not badly but the skys looked ready to drop) I went out and had a damn good sweep up under the van and got some better photos of the underwing areas as those others were to be honest. pretty poo....

ns wheelwell, as you can see i still have the dished bit so thats a massive relief..

os one is similar, the compound part of the curves is still there so my repairs should be simple here

previous OS wing rail repair.. (not quite what spot welding means I dont think)

front panel previous.. this was fully welded so think at some point someone with knowledge has been at the van

OS scuttle box, with the wing closing panel off this will be a doddle to do :D (famous last words)

Ns scuttle box

there is good metal there.. I promise

ns wing rail

will replace this in its entirety down to the folded line on the inner wing

dual layer cill

changing these rails so not bothered by this.. but put picutre up to show how bad they can get.

:D
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Cadbury will be after this van to advertise AERO milk chocolate.... the lighter way to enjoy Viva's
pbottomley

Postby midlands_nick » Tue May 17, 2011 6:29 pm

well today I started the task of making my repair sections to fit to the van, having already purchased a set of cover sills from Hadrian (not a very crisp pressing but its fine compared to nothing). I will be keeping the top part of my cill as they are fine, its just the lower parts that have ran off ...

treated myself to an 8' 4' 1.5 mm sheet and a 1.2mm sheet (never again, nigh on impossible to move as floppy as hell and heavy lol) took the 1.5 to work tonight and after a quick phone call to the man with the viva on his driev I set to with the guillotine, now dont get excited I didnt lose my head :lol: but managed to make myself two 1.8 metre lengths of Inner sill shaped profile which I must say came out pretty well, there are no re-enforcing holes in them but will see how they are once in the car, should they seem a bit wibbly I will reinforce them from the back or by dressing some holes like the original slots

anyways heres how they turned out .. yes I know rusty metal isnt a good start but its only the surface and there will be enough rust killer in this van to restore the titanic when ive finished...

now on the original sill the inner cill folds out and meets the floor, on mine im going to fold the floor over so its three layers thick at the bottom so hoping this will give some strength too
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue May 17, 2011 6:38 pm

W00T real metal, Bert will not know what hit him.... :D
pbottomley

Postby midlands_nick » Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 pm

i know.. from now on in he only gets heavier lol
midlands_nick
SL Viva