dashboard new vinyl?? interior matters

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

dashboard new vinyl?? interior matters

Postby jimfytakis » Mon May 16, 2011 6:21 pm

This is my dashboard and has a few cracks here and there..I asked a few friends of mine and told my that dashboards with hard vinyl/pvc cannot be repaired as its a hard and difficult to manipulate material..Someone told me that in rover sd1 the position of the dials and the other thing that is used to store stuff( I cannot remember the word :oops: ) can be reversed...Consequently a right-hand-drive dash can become left when we are talking about rover..He also told me that this may happen to HCs as well...Can anyone help me with this issue?

Furthermore the plastic that covers the gearbox tunnel( just next to the handbrake lever) says viva SL...A friend told me that firenzas were equipped with a slightly different one and there was a "firenza" label on it.

*Forgot to tell that as I was searching for dashboard repairs i found one
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-res ... -00-a.html
Unfortunatelly it isnt tha shame material as this used in HCs
Attachments
jimfytakis
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: dashboard new vinyl?? interior matters

Postby midlands_nick » Mon May 16, 2011 6:26 pm

i would think the only differences may be a slight change in the moulding where the steering wheel is..
midlands_nick
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue May 17, 2011 10:15 am

The main dash panel is the same, I think, from LHD to RHD - the slight "dimple" at the bottom is caused by the steering column shroud being there, rather than ready-made for it to fit.

The problem is that the cracks on the dash are usually on the outer section, not the parts that you would swap from side to side, so it won't help. On an SD1, the main dash structure is basically a tray (similar to old Mini), and the instrument panel is a box that sits on top of it. So you could move it from one side to the other when going RHD to LHD, and expose the lower section that has been covered for years. I don't know if it's that simple, or whether there would be holes in the lower section for cables, wires etc.

(Photo from mg-rover.org)

Also, I don't recall ever seeing a centre console with "Firenza" on it, unless someone had added a badge. I've seen them with "SL" on, but that's the only model designation I've seen. Anyone know for sure?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jimfytakis » Tue May 17, 2011 10:52 am

droopsnoot wrote:The main dash panel is the same, I think, from LHD to RHD - the slight "dimple" at the bottom is caused by the steering column shroud being there, rather than ready-made for it to fit.

The problem is that the cracks on the dash are usually on the outer section, not the parts that you would swap from side to side, so it won't help. On an SD1, the main dash structure is basically a tray (similar to old Mini), and the instrument panel is a box that sits on top of it. So you could move it from one side to the other when going RHD to LHD, and expose the lower section that has been covered for years. I don't know if it's that simple, or whether there would be holes in the lower section for cables, wires etc.

The idea was to buy a complete dash from UK..Its easier to find one without cracks there...The cracks on my dash are mainly on the outer section as you said but there are a few around the gauges' panel.Moreover for some reason the previous owner removed a piece of the main structure;propably a failed attempt to instal a/c..

(Photo from mg-rover.org)

Also, I don't recall ever seeing a centre console with "Firenza" on it, unless someone had added a badge. I've seen them with "SL" on, but that's the only model designation I've seen. Anyone know for sure?

I hope you are right! It will be one problem less for my car!

I hope I ll find something like this dash...I dont care wether it is the seven dial dash or the simple one as mine is ok...
Attachments
jimfytakis
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration