Magnum Coupe 2300 Restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Magnum Coupe 2300 Restoration

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:01 am

I used 5/16 Kunifer when I did mine, I can't think of a reason why using stainless would be a problem as long as you can bend it.

On the brake drums, you might find that the "shock" method is the best way (or the only way) - belt them sharply with a hammer around the outer surface, which often shocks the shoes away from the drums enough to remove them. Also as it's a Magnum, it will have self-adjusting rear brakes which might not be helping. There's a small hole on the backing plate that allows you to get a screwdriver or similar inside and lift up part of the mechanism to back off the self-adjusters, which might let the shoes move back far enough.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:10 pm

When hitting the drums, if you have one use a hide or copper or plastic mallet, not a normal hammer. A normal hammer may shatter the drum, or break a piece off, they are only cast material.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby terencegurry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Thanks for the help. Ive been using a lead mallet to try and free them for a few days now, also used a rubber mallet but didn't seem to help much. Thanks for the advice on the brake lines. Good news is the rear end is all prepped up and ready for painting, still waiting for chassis paint. Because it didn't arive today I decided to drop out the front end. This was one of the hardest things so far, the steering coupling had a stripped head holding it on so I had to leave it on when removing the front end. Also on one of the mounting bolts coming straight up from the axel the rubber piece that held it in place broke loose so the bolt and nut moved as one. Had to saw off the bolt to get it off. Not the end of the world as I have a new front end I hope to put on.

Next few days hopefully

Paint rear end, free up brakes and put new shocks on

Finish stripping front end, prime and paint
15 years of dust to remove, ohh joy!

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby terencegurry » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Got the drums off....finally. Also have sprayed rear axle. Now only needs a final coat to go on it. Bottom of car has also been undersealed but is taking forever to dry but it is...slowly. Front end is completely stripped, no cables rust ect, just needs a rub down and to masked up for painting. Will get some pictures up next week when I'm at a more advanced stage, everything looks quite hectic at the moment. Car is really coming along now! Soon all bodywork will be done and reassembly is all that will be needed (hopefully!).

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby amag » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:55 pm

[quote="terencegurry"]Well I forgot to add in one owner from new :D

The car was bought in early January 1974 during the 3 day week when no cars were being sold (wait what thats not possible!) but yes this one was! My father did some advertising work when he bought a new Mk1 Capri saying how brilliant it was for Ford (which it wasn't) and it ended up breaking down numerous times. He had enough of it so went to buy a new Vauxhall, however they would not sell one because (as I said before) they were not selling them. He showed them the press photographs and gave them copies so that Vauxhall could get good press on how "The ford man thinks the New Vauxhall is better". As a result of this the car was driven down from Luton to London within three days of buying it, the only colour available being Gold. Due to this we are pretty sure it was the first car sold to a member of the public.

Hi
Very interested in your history about your 1974 Magnum Coupe, i have a 1800 Magnum Coupe which was registerd on the 21st Jan 1974, this may have been one supplied during the 3day week too, if i remember it lasted into Febuary, only had 3 owners 55.000 miles on the clock, had a small ammount of welding and a respray 11 years ago, be great to see yours when finished
Amag

Magnum 1800 Coupe
Austin A35
Vauxhall Vectra C SXI
amag
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby terencegurry » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 pm

Wow nice car ! Looks like we are in the same boat here. My father told me that he went to several car dealers but none were selling cars. He went to Vauxhall as they were in direct competition with Ford in order to try and get a new car. What makes it probably even rarer is that the large 2300 engine was not wanted because of the rocketing prices of oil at the time, so meant that (im guessing here) the 1800 cars might have been supplied to the dealers and they thought that there would have been a better chance of selling the cars. I didn't realise that there was such an early example of the car still around and it's great to see it in what appears to be brilliant condition, with such low milage, with mine having well over 100k on the clock from many miles around Europe.

Also a bit of an update, will be priming the engine bay tommorow!

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby terencegurry » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Last edited by terencegurry on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Your doing an amazing job in a short time on this car. :respekt:

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby terencegurry » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:17 pm

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8899/i ... 301952.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/687/ ... 301952.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3443 ... 302002.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4277/img ... 301959.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4811/i ... 02002x.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5672 ... 302002.jpg

Few more coats to do on engine bay.
Rear arches and axle 90% done

Need to do rear bearings, brake pistons and pads then will put shocks back on

And Cheers Peter :D

Will be at billing on sunday (without the car) :D I guess I must be one of the youngest people to undertake a restoration like this !
Last edited by terencegurry on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

1974 Magnum 2300 Coupe
1983 Cavalier CD
terencegurry
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Hello Terence junior :wink:

I have good memories of chatting to you dad and helping him work on the Magnum back in the 1990's. Just where has the time gone!!! Your dad is a perfectionist - all the parts that went into the engine rebuild were brand new and not reconditioned. It's probably cleaner inside than it is on the outside! Even though its many years since the engine was put together I'm sure it will be fine, everything was very well lubricated before being put together. Have you turned it over yet? The other front axle you have had every bush replaced (you could still get parts then!) and it had spax adjustable dampers fitted. I think the brake callipers might need re doing by now though!

It good to see work on the car finally resuming, everything stopped when you were born! Good luck with it. Let me know when you are ready to start the engine for the first time it would be nice to be there!

My 'old Vauxhall car' days are long gone now although I do have a certain 'Australian Vauxhall' in the garage that I use now and again when I can afford the fuel :lol:
Paul
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration