1969 HB GT - Extensive Restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1969 HB GT - Extensive Restoration

Postby Colin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:39 pm

I really hope VivaGT-Robbo has been able to save this car. It may well be a sole survivor. Another example of a Viva GT in Elkhart yellow exists in Dave Wheatley's immaculate Mk 1 1/2, VXE710G, but that car is a transitional example with many Mk II features, eg, centre console ignition and switchgear, no matt black bonnet, rostyles, broad stripes etc. The Mk II was never actually sold in Elkhart yellow, at least not in U.K. spec.

Only Mk 1 U.K. spec Viva GTs were offered in Elkhart yellow along withe the more common Le Mans blue and Monaco white. The original 1968 Mk 1 sales brochures feature an Elkhart yellow car. Other enthusiasts may hopefully correct me, but I've never come across another surviving example of an Elkhart yellow Mk 1 Viva GT, at least not one that hasn't undergone a colour change years ago.

So if VivaGT-Robbo were to restore this car to it's original spec and colour, it could be a unique example. I really hope he is managing to progress with this car, and hasn't scrapped it or broken it for spares.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby VivaGT-Robbo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 pm

The Car is Very slowly Getting there now, we've had a tough year this year sadly with a loss! and unfortunately its had to be put on hold for a little while!

In the next week or so we should have some proper work being done, still a long way off but not forgotten!:)
VivaGT-Robbo
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Colin » Fri May 02, 2014 10:08 am

The Car is Very slowly Getting there now, we've had a tough year this year sadly with a loss! and unfortunately its had to be put on hold for a little while!

In the next week or so we should have some proper work being done, still a long way off but not forgotten!:)

So sorry to hear you've had such a difficult year, but glad to hear your GT is still with you! Best wishes and the best of luck with the car's restoration. Another Elkhart yellow GT has now surfaced. See mytimenow's GT restoration thread :goodluck:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration