Replacing Head lining on an HB

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Replacing Head lining on an HB

Postby yggdrasil » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Has anyone replaced a head lining. I note on e bay some one is offering a kit cut from original pattern. Is it worth £120.

Dave Russell
yggdrasil
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Replacing Head lining on an HB

Postby opelscott22 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:02 pm

I cant comment on the Ebay one but Ive made headlinings in both the HBs Ive had. They arent difficult to make with a regular sewing machine and the correct cloth can be bought from Woolies trim.
The material isnt cheap and there arent many alternatives as it needs to be a little stretchy, otherwise its nearly impossible to get the wrinkles out.

When fitting use bulldog clips to hold it in place and tease it out gently, taking your time will result in a wrinkle free lining! I use impact adhesive to glue them in, removing one clip at a time and replacing them until the glue dries.

Its a satisfying job to do and makes a real difference to the interior of any car.

Hope this helps!

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Using a wallpaper steamer can also help removing the wrinkles.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yggdrasil » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks Scott & Steve for your advice. One more question, can I compleete the work without removing front & rear screen ?

Dave Russell
yggdrasil
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Alas the correct way is to remove screens and use the channels to hold the head liner in place, then put the glass back in.... pain the in :twisted:
pbottomley

Postby opelscott22 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Id say theres next to no chance of doing a very neat job without removing the glass, its not a difficult job on these old cars!

Scott
HC518
opelscott22
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VivaPete » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi
Making one is quite straight forward as long as you take the pattern from an original.
Install the center rod first and work forward to front and repeat from center to rear (or visa versa if you prefer). Use door aperture trim to keep in place temporarily until you are sure of how much excess to trim. DO NOT OVER TRIM! Allow for it all to settle down and that you are sure it's all centered and smooth.
And as others have mentioned it will be a much tighter fit if you take out the glass first.
Good luck!
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yggdrasil » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like there in no alternative if I want to make a good job of it, I will have to remove the glass and hope the screen rubbers remain intact.

Dave Russell
yggdrasil
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Restoration