My first Viva - 1972 Deluxe

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: My first Viva - 1972 Deluxe

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Five hours later......stripped, painted the backs of them black, the fronts will be silver of course.

Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

I used the Viva to get to the sailing club this evening as it was the only car left. Whilst it was parked outside the club someone vandalised it - stuck a nasty modern Vauxhall plastic badge on it.

Since one of my mates works for a Vauxhall main dealer I have a clue who it might have been. Revenge will happen.

I took it round the A55 ring road which was the first time it has done any speed since I got it, it wasn't too happy, bit of a misfire until I gave it a touch of choke, so it might be a bit on the lean side. Funny thing is though it doesn't want any choke to fire up so it can't be too lean.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Trying to get to the root of this misfire....this evening's progress

From this

to this

swapped D4 to D5 as per David's thread

new 12v 3ohm coil, new rotor arm, new dizzy cap, just waiting on new HT leads

Checked the timing.

And still it misfires. Well really more of a hesitation. I moved the carb accelerator pump to the winter setting and it's a bit better. But mainly it's the same, just a touch of choke and it's runs fine. I'll wait until the new HT leads come just in case, but I think the carb needs looking at.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu May 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Today was the first day off I've had in ages, and the forecast was for sun and a light breeze. Excellent - I can get some spraying done.

Two coats on (one small run :oops: ) - went inside to start on the rails that rivet to the sills, and the heavens opened.

So I have the garage floor full of kit, a car with wet paint on the drive, and it rains out of the blue.

Not a happy bunny.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Thu May 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Yes, that's a right royal pain when that happens.

Just realised it's nearly 2 and a half years since I last posted on your thread! Been watching it though. You are doing a cracking job!

Wish I'd have been as thorough as you are. :respekt:
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri May 16, 2014 11:47 am

Yesterday was a nightmare....not only the rain and the car issues, then the washing machine broke down, so I took it all to bits, replaced the bearings, and then it wouldn't go at all. Took it out again, checked everything, put it back, works fine. So my hands are cut to ribbons from all the sharp edges they put into washing machines to make sure you don't try to repair them.

Today - deep breathes - was better.

This is how it started out
This is how it looks today
And the other side

It isn't perfect by a long shot, I need to do some blending in and then give it a good cutting back. But at least I can do a bit at a time rather than having a whole respray and then watch rust reappear within a year or so - which would make me sad.

It's still sitting on the Rostyles because those tyres are ancient. I'll be putting new rubber on the original wheels in the not too distant.

Next job is to wash it and give the whole thing a going over with cutting compound, then blend in with my airbrush. That will do me - I'm not after something to show - just a car I can potter about in over the summer months that looks reasonably presentable.

Out & about today, chap came over who worked on the design of the rear wing & made the original die for them.

Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Looks brilliant Paul. Bet you're glad you bought the compressor.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri May 16, 2014 5:16 pm

That looks a whole lot better, I must admit a liking for hc's in Henley blue, keep up the good work
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat May 17, 2014 8:37 am

1972nail wrote:Looks brilliant Paul. Bet you're glad you bought the compressor.

Oh yes - brilliant bit of kit. I've since noticed that all the toys - sorry - tools in Aldi are euro fittings as well.

I bought a good quality air hose on a reel with both euro and UK connectors so I can mix and match.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:55 am

I'm off to pick up five new tyres this morning. It had it's first wash for years yesterday and today's plan is to get the polisher onto it and T-cut the paintwork to see how it comes up. The guys in the MOT place have suggested I preserve it's 'unique patina'. Which is actually kind of growing on me.

Driving it back into the garage last night the carb decided to spit petrol everywhere, which it's done on and off before, and it's still hesitating a bit on throttle, so just on the chance there was a service kit on ebay I took a peek and found a certain well known ebay seller from Norfolk offering a shiny new Weber 32 ICT - which I have purchased.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration