1972 Vauxhall Firenza Restoration and modification

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Vauxhall Firenza Restoration

Postby Icedmunkie » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 am

Welding that I got a friend to do is done now, picked it up a couple of weeks ago and slowly been doing all the other small bits and bobs along with hoovering and blowing out sand. Being taught how to use filler was interesting but I'm getting there!

All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 am

That looks good. I'd love to have the space to use one of those things.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Sun May 18, 2014 12:01 am

I don't really. You can turn it in a single garage which is all I have, although mine is slightly longer but no wider. You can get it with wheels on too.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Sun May 18, 2014 1:31 am

Some photo's from todays progress with a good friend of mine. Its not fully welded but all the plates are tacked on ready for welding and some pin pricks to sort out. I'm then due an session of undersealing

All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Lokes great! I took a double take at the middle pic. SWMBO chides me that mine is nothing but a glorified planter. Took me a minute to realize the flowers were behind the car not in the car.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Icedmunkie » Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 am

Well on Saturday I finally finished the welding, so now its time to clean up the welds, and underseal the underneath. Hoping to get some time to start on body prep this week as have some time off.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 pm

After a week of rain things have not progressed as quick as possible but I now have my suspension back from the powder coaters, undersealed the underneath and started on the prep work for the body, the filler use is minimal as I am not very good at it, hardest part is the wheel arches, just cannot get them looking right since the repair panels have gone on!
On the plus side I got some real motivation as I had to do some work with a friend on behalf of an friends business, which ended up me driving an Ferrari 308 around Rockingham Racetrack... Such a hard life!!!

Looking to get some primer and paint on in time for the National so I can bring the shell along either rolling or on its jig as the national is only down the road from me!!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Update on the engine conversion. After a rather quiet winter on the car as I've had other things to fix and sort.

This Saturday with the help of one club member and a couple of friends. I finally got the Mazda 1.8 mx 5 engine and 5 speed box mounted ready for some engine mounts to be fitted.

Overall it's quite an easy modification engine wise. I had to cut the front subframe to get the sump to fit in.. Cut one small bit of the bulkhead on the passenger side.
Plus cut the tunnel in two places as one switch hits the inner of the tunnel and the gear stick sits about a inch or two back from the original position ( although with a mx1 box I think it might be possible to leave it in the standard position. The gear box and prop angles are 1 degree out from standard so no uj issues!

I will have to cut a small hole possibly in the bulkhead to access the temp switch but I might get away with it. Also there is not enough room for the coil pack on the back of the engine s this will be raised further back unless I can find longer ht leads.

I'm next trial fitting a set of triumph pedals to overcome the issues with clearance from inlet manifold and hydraulic clutch. Remote servo will be used as there is not enough space to fit original items.

All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby chrismc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Interesting conversion. The shell looks really solid. Hope to see this in the flesh one day.
chrismc
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:50 pm

Only solid after lots and lots and lots and lots of welding!!
Be done one day, if its painted by Billing I am tempted to bring it to Billing.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration