1972 Vauxhall Firenza Restoration and modification

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Vauxhall Firenza Restoration

Postby Icedmunkie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

I collected my car after being at the "welders" for nearly 8 months, I finaly had enough of his excuses etc. Bearing in mind it came home then promptly had to go back as stuff was no where near finished ( and I had paid at the point after a quick check) it sat outside without a sheet and everything to the elements, so on Sat, I sent him a text message and picked it up..

Below is an example of what they missed, which was pointed out several times, I'm going over the work slowly! Some bits are really good but some is just a bodge job.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 pm

The job was obviously too big for him to programme properly! Many welders want a job that can be finished in a day or two to get a constant supply of income. Some guys take on jobs like this to provide work when there are no other paying jobs to do!

This size of job requires a structured approach with your welder and set weekly targets, however small and keep checking the targets are met. Breaking it into a series of small jobs and paying for them individually when complete is another good idea. A couple of hours work each week gets quite a bit completed reasonably quickly and prevents the job getting forgotten.

Just noticed that you've got a very early shell there. It has the pressing on the front panel for the extra wide lower opening. Vauxhall never actually cut it out fully but instead went for the narrower opening and altered the pressing accordingly in late 71 early 72.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Icedmunkie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi,
I think it was all a bit too much for him, the guy lost his original welder so went down to just him. I can sympathise with him, but I paid up fully and he never finished it, lesson learnt.

I didn't know there was a difference, interesting to know thanks
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby cheviva » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm

noo on the snow inside :(

if it is any help, i found a partly tailored Viva HC car cover on Amazon , made by "carpoint" , it, like the one i got for the chevette fits nicely.

cheers

Bill

Icedmunkie wrote:Hi,
I think it was all a bit too much for him, the guy lost his original welder so went down to just him. I can sympathise with him, but I paid up fully and he never finished it, lesson learnt.

I didn't know there was a difference, interesting to know thanks
cheviva
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Here's the early front panel showing the pressing for the bigger opening.

Here's the later one without the pressing for the larger opening.

Interestingly the Can- Am seemed to have the opening cut out to the larger size.

So did Flat Front Old Nail.

And my Firenza 2300 Sport SL!!

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Magnum2300chris » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Icedmunkie wrote:I collected my car after being at the "welders" for nearly 8 months, I finaly had enough of his excuses etc. Bearing in mind it came home then promptly had to go back as stuff was no where near finished ( and I had paid at the point after a quick check) it sat outside without a sheet and everything to the elements, so on Sat, I sent him a text message and picked it up..

Hi wat the reg number of the car bit like my old firenza

Below is an example of what they missed, which was pointed out several times, I'm going over the work slowly! Some bits are really good but some is just a bodge job.
Magnum2300chris
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed May 01, 2013 11:59 am

Chris the Reg is MXD 488K. It was bought in Bexhill on Sea down south when I lived there, I think its spent many years by the sea buy the sheer amount of rot there is going on in the car. Its getting close to the point where the shell will only be useful for spares. I have an ever growing list of bits that need welding and fabricating.

Currently its ion a jig having the remaining underseal scraped off and finding more holes and areas that need work. I am toying with getting it blasted/dipped to reveal the full extent of the damage and to assess how bad it really is but at the momment its not looking very good :nervous:

All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Icedmunkie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:12 am

Bit of an update, the shell is now underseal free and getting welded by an friend for sensible money, Current plan is too finish off the welding then some sand blasting here and there now there is some metal attached underneath.
Stripped my suspension down ready for powder coating and rebushing this week. So hopefully it might be an painted and rolling shell for the national!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Good to hear that things are progressing and you've got a handle in the welding. :D

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Icedmunkie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Welding now almost complete!! Car going for sand blasting on Wednesday then primered ready for collection soon. Just waiting on my suspension bushes from Delta Motorsport then I Can get it rolling! Next weekend suspension off to be blasted and powder coated!!
Engine being potentially collected this weekend too!! Slowly but surely getting there though!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration