HC fuel filler pipe boot floor grommit

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HC fuel filler pipe boot floor grommit

Postby fistfullofV5's » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 pm

While moving the fuel filler pipe to weld in a patch, I also popped out the rubber grommit ,and found it had hardened and cracked and generally looked past its best. Thing is, are these available new(please don't laugh) or what alternatives are there? If you've had this problem and solved it, I'd be grateful for a heads up.
Cheers, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HC fuel filler pipe boot floor grommit

Postby dann01 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 am

Not seen them new... Ever. The alternative is to find one from a parts car... Or...

I have made a seal in the past using 2 small 6 inch squares of 1mm rubber pond liner, and a tube of silicone windscreen sealant. It's messy unless you tidy up as you go, but it works and keeps the water and weather out. Doesn't look to bad either. If you can't find one, let me know and I shall impart the improv info.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Re: HC fuel filler pipe boot floor grommit

Postby fistfullofV5's » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply Dan, never thought of using something like pond liner. The problem with me is that I'm used to working on Minis where I can get any part I want without a problem. Bit of a culture shock now working on the Firenza.
Thanks, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration