1965 Viva HA Standard Barn Find

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1965 Viva HA Standard Barn Find

Postby hbpeter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm

Brilliant save, going to be some big spiders in there!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MTV-VIVA » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:04 pm

HBPeter wrote:Brilliant save, going to be some big spiders in there!!

Peter

Hi peter, thankyou for your comment

yes there’s big spiders inside!

this one was hiding behind the sun visor as it was pulled down

there's another big one in the boot that has realised we're trying to catch it and has moved into the back seat

on the positive side....theyre big enough to pass me the spanners!!!

Last edited by MTV-VIVA on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTV-VIVA
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm

So I guess the question is, what's the plan.??..... (its the 50th anniversary in a couple of years would be nice to see a mint standard)
pbottomley

Postby hbpeter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Nicked from another Forum,

Ahoy!

I haven't frequented this forum nearly enough of late to earn such blagging rights... but:

Is anyone getting their teeth into an interesting new project? Or has anyone unearthed and liberated something fascinatingly rare, unusual, dull or beige?

If so, I'd very much like to slip it into Practical Classics. Give a holler on sam.glover@practicalclassics.co.uk

In return, I'll owe you a beer - redeemable at various classic car shows throughout the year.

We solve our problems my marching forward!

Sam

I would think this fits perfectly!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby MTV-VIVA » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:02 pm

HBPeter wrote:Nicked from another Forum,

Ahoy!

I haven't frequented this forum nearly enough of late to earn such blagging rights... but:

Is anyone getting their teeth into an interesting new project? Or has anyone unearthed and liberated something fascinatingly rare, unusual, dull or beige?

If so, I'd very much like to slip it into Practical Classics. Give a holler on sam.glover@practicalclassics.co.uk

In return, I'll owe you a beer - redeemable at various classic car shows throughout the year.

We solve our problems my marching forward!

Sam

I would think this fits perfectly!

Peter

thanks again peter, I may just do that!
MTV-VIVA
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MTV-VIVA » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm

pbottomley wrote:So I guess the question is, what's the plan.??..... (its the 50th anniversary in a couple of years would be nice to see a mint standard)

The plan is to do as little as possible and leave the car in its aged condition, I’m not even going to wash it :)

It will have the work done to get a mot but apart from that it will be driving around as it looks now
MTV-VIVA
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby oli8925 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 pm

That's very very cool :D last on the road a few months before I was born and a month after my first car was made :lol: Great to hear you're keeping it standard.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MTV-VIVA » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:57 pm

oli8925 wrote:That's very very cool :D last on the road a few months before I was born and a month after my first car was made :lol: Great to hear you're keeping it standard.

same here, this cars been sitting in a barn longer than I’ve been alive, its weird when you think about it
MTV-VIVA
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby MTV-VIVA » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 pm

First job to do was to see if it started

The story was it was taken off the road because it needed repairs and with all them empty oil containers it was looking like the engine was the reason why, so we were expecting the worst when it came to starting!

The first thing was to put diesel down the bores to free it up and after a couple of days soaking, it turned free. The oil and filter was changed and it was turned over by hand but the valves where sticking now and again,and the pistons knocked them up again, so wd40 was sprayed into the inlet manifold as it was being turned over and the valves soon freed off after a couple of turns, filling up with oil into the rocker cover obviously helped also.

A new battery was put on and the engine turned over to get the oil pumping around,the oil light went out straight away which was good and the starter was working after all these years. A separate petrol supply was connected to the pump so it didn’t have to run from the old tank and petrol lines, and it fired up first time!

You should have seen our wide smiles!.....gave you a feeling of being Dr Frenkenstein and bringing it to life again!

So it runs great but can’t tell yet weather it burns oil, it smoked on first start up but seemed to be ok after a while. Compression test was done and the figures where all good and the same across cylinders, so it’s 50/50 whether its ok or not

(no sound)
Last edited by MTV-VIVA on Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTV-VIVA
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 am

That is is in much better condition that one first things looking at the previous images. Sounds fine in that engine test video. Suspect it will start to weap oil in places unwelcome after things getting up to temperature and its had a much longer trip on the roads. I am guessing its not far form MOT standard (other than the rotten chassis rail section we saw earlier).

All you need now is a nice HA SL to make the whole family :D
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration