What To Do...?!

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

What To Do...?!

Postby MYDADHADONEOFTHOSE » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi folks,

Having recently taken my first, faltering steps into Vauxhall Viva ownership, a somewhat major headache has developed already...

Don't get me wrong - the car - a GLS - runs really well and, to my un-trained eyes - seemed good value for the modest outlay I made for it. OK, so the interior is a little 'tired' , but the bodywork seems pretty sound for a 35 year old vehicle...

My 'What To Do' comes from the fact that I have already fallen in love with this little car and I want to spend money on getting him re-spayed. After initial discussions with a local and well reputed Classic Car Restorer, is seems that the '£1500' or so price I was expecting to spend on a good re-spray job will - after this chap looked at my car through his experienced eyes - more likely to extent to somewhere in the region of 3k - 3.5k. This is so get the external of the car 'as new' and will include welding to a couple of holes, a few small other 'hidden' welds and perhaps, most labour and cost intensive - two new rear wheel arches... OUCH...!!

I do not doubt the quality of this chaps' work and don't think he is trying to rip me off. On the contrary, I trust him to do a top job using top materials.. So my dilemma is folks is... should I go for it...? I am realistic to know that if I do, my total outlay, including resto will come in at £4k - but expect I will not have a car worth £4k... The $64,000 question is then, do you think it a better option to buy another Viva sometime in the future in a better condition for a higher price...?

I also realise that in asking such a 'how long is a piece of string' question is a little unfair of members.. but ANY advice would be more than appreciated... :imsmiling: :D

Ta Ta For Now!

John.
MYDADHADONEOFTHOSE
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: What To Do...?!

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu May 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Hi John,
Welcome the the Viva world and our Forum which is free to none members. I think you need to take a deep breath and get hold of that piece of string and control it. Is it a bright shiny car you want which looks new or do you want something which has some "patena" - something that looks "lived in". If money is no object go for what you want. I would just sort out what you think needs to be got under control and use it for a bit and see if the novelty wheres off :lol:
Meanwhile I have attached a membership application form for your consideration - why not drop in and see us at our National at the Gaydon Heritage Museum on Sunday :P
Application Form.doc
(34 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
InquiryLetter.doc
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby oli8925 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Ha, what a great username.

I would say it's a bit expensive if you ask me. Give us a detailed account of what needs welding and the condition of the car and paintwork and we might be able to give you a bit more of a heads up as to how much you could be paying. Half the problem with a respray is in the prep work, it's very time consuming and needs to be done well in order for the paint on top to be decent, that's where most of the cost comes in when someone else does it. Also depends on whether it's a blow over or a full metal respray.

If the paint work isn't too bad and just looks a bit tired, I'd look at getting a pro to 'detail' it. Properly cut back the paint, polish and wax it to protect it etc. They can work wonders and will be a fair bit cheaper than a full respray.
1989 Blue Mini 1000 Rebuild
1975 White De Luxe Viva HC
1994 Saab 9000 CSE
2002 F*rd Puma Thunder
oli8925
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1256man » Thu May 10, 2012 3:51 pm

hello you would be better off buying a realy good one which would cost you a hell of a lot less and selling the one youve bought or have a go yourself as its all part of the fun of owning an old car you could learn to do minor body work , a bit of welding ,filling and maybe at a later stage have it resprayed when youve completed the body your self and so saving a lot of money
more space more cars
1256man
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Thu May 10, 2012 4:23 pm

It depends what you're after. My local bodyshop has given me a ballpark of £1,000 for a basic respray which will get the car looking 90% right. After that it's the law of diminishing returns. You pay a lot more for very little extra.

I'd get the welding done, get it mechanically sound, live with it for a bit, and then if you feel you want to spend more do it at a later stage. But you'll never see that money back in the sale value of the car.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bluemoontezza » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

See your problem,previous posts have been there before great advice,take your time,maybe to next mot,hopefully enjoy the car and go from there,then make the desision :goodluck: :goodluck: :goodluck:
1972 Viva 2300 SL 2 Door HC669
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4 Door
These cars can Torque!
bluemoontezza
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Alas this is the problem for most Viva's, the cost of a good paint job comes in at more than the car is worth. :(

Frankly if you start to view a Viva as a car to which the money you put in you will get back when passed onto the next owner, then your going to be disappointed. :?

There are paint shops around that will do cheaper paint jobs, but its that old adage one gets what one pays for.

Don't worry though, the owners club loves all Vivas no matter their condition, anyone that has come to billing and parked up on the stand will know this feeling, people love them irrespective of condition. My first viva was taken to Billing and I was made very welcome, this is what I took and this is the condition it remained in for several years after.

Dented in wings rear quarter, doors damaged, but it was a great drive safe and lasted be years, no show winner but welcome like all are. :mrgreen:

Moral of the story, if paint is the only issue don't worry about it :D :D
pbottomley

Postby House » Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 pm

£3.5k is cheap! My dad's looking into getting his hotrod painted and the cheapest so far is £8k. The most recent one was £11400 and it doesn't even have a roof! Pick someone who's work you've seen and trust, that's the main thing with paint not the cost.
House
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Pretty much as above, if the car runs well, get it polished, sort out the minor repairs, although, with a Viva minor rust usually turns into much bigger rust! Plus, where is the painter getting 2 new wheel arches from?? Very rare item. Use the car, if you still like it get the paint done, maybe do a deal and do some of the prep work yourself to bring the cost down. Got any photos and the reg number?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby dann01 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 am

A good expensive paint job will make a rough car look great, and great car look brilliant... What it won't do is keep the car going and roadworthy.

That said the heart wants what the heart wants, and a shiny example sitting on the drive is a good feeling... It's not me, however (I prefer the lived in, used and abused look) but tis your motor.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Next

Return to Restoration