1976 1300 SL - Otis

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1976 1300 SL - Otis

Postby GeorgeG93 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Been offered some wheels for the Viva, I had a look at them yesterday, but god knows what they're from. They're 13" alloys at 5.5J, and I didn't try them on the motor, but I saw 100 written on them, could this be the PCD? If so, would they fit the Viva? The bloke says he wants to fit them on his Ford Fiesta but I'm pretty sure that Fords are 108 which is way off for them wheels, he says they're from something Italian, would that make sense for the 100 PCD? Is there any chance of them fitting the Viva? They're so nice I'd be willing to have them machined to fit if it would be feasible.
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Vivas are 4" PCD, not 100mm. 4"=101.7mm, I think. They would go on, but not recommended. Any chance of a picture?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby GeorgeG93 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:02 pm

Will get a pic tomorrow I think they're really nice and will try them against the viva/fiesta or try and measure them too thanks
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby fistfullofV5's » Tue May 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi, just saw this thread. Don't run the car with 100mm pcd wheels as you will put a large amount of side loading on the hub studs as you tighten the wheel nuts. The nuts won't seat properly as the slightly smaller wheel pcd won't allow it. There is a very real risk of shearing a stud, not good! I once test fitted manta 100mm pcd alloys to my Firenza and what I saw in the garage convinced me not to run them on the road.
Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Yeah I've read a lot about them breaking studs, but I'm now wondering whether the wheels can be re machined to make their spacings slightly different or something. Thanks for the advice though would hate to be driving along in it and have a wheel come off, not good news!
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Bought a set of beautifu Alcan 13" wheels off of eBay last week and trial fitted them last night, the fit perfectly and look amazing, but the only trouble is, as I suspected, the nuts from my original steels won't be safe to hold the wheels on. So I am wondering if anyone on here knows where I could get a set of these from? The wheels look like this:
That's just a webfound picture but mine look exaclty the same but 12". If anybody could help that would be great! And if anyone wants to buy my set of 4 original wheels in good nick but need repainting and will come with all chrome caps and surrounds in great condition let me know :)
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby GeorgeG93 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Ok, so after a few months of not updating due to laziness a few things have been done. Rear of drivers sill has been chopped out ready for remaking, wheel nuts are waiting to be machined to fit my Alcan wheels, have acquired some princess 4 pot calipers, weber 34ich carb fitted, new handbrake cable, new head unit and half decent sound system installed and hidden so the interior is un molested, new points, and various other small things. Also need to get motivated and get some magnum suspension in there to sort out how screwed the setup in already and stop it from looking so ridiculously high off the ground!
Now, I'm getting the desire for a larger engine. I have access to a scimitar with an Essex v6 in it, which i unfortunately won't use due to its thirst, but the running gear I'd use if anybody on here could advise me on what to take, like the rear axle for instance? Having worked on a lot of x flow fiestas I've also potentially got a good 1.6 xr2 sitting in a shell. I love the engine and how strong it is and how parts for them are plentiful. So does anyone on here know how viable it is to fit one of these into a HC Viva? What sort of box would it need? And are there any nasty surprises associated with putting one of these in?
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Opelscott on here built a HB with x-flow. Look under the Modified section. From what I remember the x-flow fits without much trouble in a HB, so would fit a HC just as easy. Used to be a popular conversion. Theres a HA on retrorides with a 1300 x-flow fitted.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby GeorgeG93 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Looks like I've gotten hold of an XR2 Fiesta with a 1600 X flow so when I recover it work can begin on the rebuilding of the engine! Then need to source a box, I'm guessing some sort of Type 9 would be best, I'm aware of how much longer it is meaning a cutting of the trans tunnel but thats no problem. Only things I need then are the custom prop and a different axle. Will be on the lookout for a 1800 Viva one as I've heard it has the best ratio, but any larger axle will do for me just so it doesn't explode or anything. I have a Scimitar with a V6 engine here, is the gearbox or axle any use to me? I had a quick look and at first the shock mounts are in different places, but is anything out of it any good? Can the differential gear be swapped between the two?
GeorgeG93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I think the Scimitar axle can be made to fit. Others on here would be able to advise you better.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration