HB Viva 1969 key numbers?

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB Viva 1969 key numbers?

Postby hbpeter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:50 pm

As far as I remember there were 2 keys, ignition, and the other for the locks, might even have been 3, possible the boot lock was different but could be wrong.

Where the hinges bolt to the inner wings is a very common rot spot. Repair panals are available for this area, keep your eye on ebay or possibly someone on here might have some. If you join the owners club you will get access to the club spares and the rest of the forum and club magazine.

Nice to hear your keeping it standard, any HB is now becoming rare. Look forward to the photos. I think I still have the issue of Practical Classics magazine that had the advert in when I first bought it.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby thomas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

I take it back, it's a beautiful swan.

I had hoped the car would have the same key fits all, simple electrical ignition switch only, rather than the less common different one for a combined ignition/steering lock. In that case there would be a good chance of the ignition switch's key also working with the doors/boot. With the steering lock is better, IF you have the key! :roll:
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Didnt have a steering lock. I'll see if I can find the keys I have, pretty sure they are not from THA, but knowing how worn Viva locks can get they might work.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby steve4vivas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi good to hear another hb has been saved from the scrapyard. I have found the locks on mine so bad even about 25 years ago when i got the car that ican use the fuel cap key for every thing on it and Ignition lock so worn i can take the key out when car is running. Would be interested to see a picture of it in it s condition at the moment and wish you all the best in getting it back to it s former glory as i have found out it takes time especialy with family comitments :goodluck: :goodluck: :respekt:
steve4vivas
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

My thanks too, to Johnboy HB for info on Wilmot Breeden/FT series keys.

Wonder what the scuttle innards look like on it. Mines had quite a lot of muck (leaves and black 'compost' under the wiper motor) in there, now swept and sloshed out, treated to green jelly type rust 'eater', then Jenolite, washed, dried then brush painted blindly with red-lead and later some unmatching green Hammerite smeared over; hope it stays watertight. I might line that gulley in there with thin fibreglass, as with any porosity rainwater will find its way straight into the interior, it could (though not too easily) if necessary be welded from the car's interior. Doesn't matter what it looks like in there, once the heater and (nice new) cover is back on it's out of sight and mind, and easily neglected, but allowing the water out freely matters and maybe keeping the outer air vents open to get some airflow through that area might help dry it out between showers too.

:)

thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Scaramouche » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 am

Hi all, especially Steve and Thomas!
Thanks for your comments, will post picture soon as!
Afraid car has been neglected since previously owned but yet shows signs was once cared for! Engine area very untidy and with bonnet separating from frame due to heat will be a challenge to fix? Again any advice appreciated... Tigerseal? Had an old victor fe with overdrive and slant four which was a minter but the bonnet again separated on it and used tiger seal.. Worked well!
Interior very grubby and seat ripped.. Shame!
Need few items in engine bay like air filter housing and screen bag!
Will keep eyes posted!
Appreciate the help folks..
Excellent forum.. Membership in post! :D
Scaramouche
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:19 pm

If you like the forum now, wait till your membership comes through! Lots more to see then! Havent forgotton about the keys, havent had chance to look yet.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm

If you conntact Adrian Miller, Vivamanviva on ebay, he might be able to supply new barrels and keys, for the ignition.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby hbpeter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Another person to try is Stefan, on this forum, lots of spares.

Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Previous

Return to Restoration