Seatbelt options

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Seatbelt options

Postby gazpman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi all, not sure if this counts as restoration or not (the car is definitely not standard anywhere else, apart from the rust).

I need some front seatbelts for my HC Viva E Coupe, on a budget. Was the Viva/Magnum/Firenza ever fitted with inertia reel belts? (that's what I'd like) Any ideas where I could get some?

Alternatively, has anyone used seatbelts from another car with little or no modification?

Any help or advice would be great, thanks. Car on the road for this summer is the plan, but it will be by the skin of it's teeth and an MOT checklist for now.
Gary

"What is it?"
"It's a 1975 Vauxhall HC Viva E Coupe, with a Pinto"
"It looks like a hit man's car"
"It's going to be awesome"
gazpman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Seatbelt options

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Yes, later cars had inertia reel seat belts. If you look in the rear quarters, you should see a mounting panel, a U-section welded between the door pillar and the inner wheelarch. That's where the seatbelt reel mounts, at an angle, feeding the belt out through the trim panel, up to the top of the B pillar and then down to the bottom. I would have though the E would have these from the date, but I can't remember when I dismantled mine whether it had them or static ones.

Early shells don't have the mounting panels fitted, but I would exepct the E coupe would.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Restoration