1972 Nail Project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Nail Project

Postby 1972nail » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:13 pm

When I bought a copy of Classic and Sports Cars magazine back in the early '80s with the article about the Vauxhall Design Department I noticed that Silver Bullet had it's gutters filled at the front up to the top of the screen. I immediately decided that my car would have some of that! :mrgreen:

Here's Bullet photographed at Billing 2011

The fact that the screen pillar bottoms were rotten and it was as easy to fill the gutters as try to get the shape right in the gutter was the deciding factor.

So here it the photo of the result.

Last edited by 1972nail on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Uncovered the shell today from it's winter hideaway and flatted back some primer. Colour coat soon!! :x

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby grp2viva » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Really enjoying following this thread :D Something else I noticed on 'Old Nail' the other day is the door shut lines. They are AWEFUL. Like yours before you trimmed them up. I don't think the guys at Blydenstiens were too worried about keeping Gerry draft free.....
Cheers.
Darren.
grp2viva
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Glad you are enjoying the thread. Pace should pick up again now the summer is here - .... or has it gone?

I noticed the door gaps on Nail only a short while back. I've never seen it in the flesh and all the old period photos don't show the gaps! The recent photos are a better reference, the TV article really shows the poor fit. The Nail kit was really poorly moulded, I suppose it looked OK from the Grandstand at high speed and covered in stickers and stripes, but not really good enough for a road car. The Snoot wings. Are better than the Flat Front ones as well!

Here's a photo showing the poor fit at the door but this still doesn't really show the full extent, it's much worse from other angles!

But on Old Nail it is perfectly OK! It's part of it's character. Mine will have it's own quirks I'm sure!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby vman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:41 am

good job looking good
vman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I'm at the stage now that the car just needs a few coats of paint and assembly of all the parts collected over the years, plus the time to do it of course. Just small bits and pieces to buy and lots of surplus bits to sell!

So no big purchases expected at Billing this year!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Finally got around to laying on some base coat this evening on the bonnet and homemade front apron. Clear coats tomorrow.

These are test pieces to see if I can make a reasonable job of painting it myself or if I have to save up for a pro spray job!

Arden Blue Pearl looks great!! 8)

The holes in the bottom of the apron are for the homemade carbon fibre front spoiler and the bits cut away at the ends are for the 9x15's.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Boydyhb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 pm

Absolutely unbelievable workmanship!!

I'm actually from Ballymoney myself, so you'll have to let me take a look at her in the flesh some time.
In fact I'm pretty sure I sent my Dad round to buy that spit off you one day I was stuck at work, lol!
Boydyhb
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks for you kind comment. The photos do make it look good, I'm good at choosing which ones to show!

Your dad told me all about your HB plans - sounds great! Call around any evening and we'll talk Griffin!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Love that Colour!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration