1972 Nail Project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Nail Project

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Going to start fitting up soon. The glass and headlining probably next then the mechanicals. Back to work full time this week so little time for the Firenza for a while. :(
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks for that citric acid tip - I'll have to try it on mine when I get it back from the welding.

That colour is amazing.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Paul Dawson wrote:Thanks for that citric acid tip - I'll have to try it on mine when I get it back from the welding.

That colour is amazing.

Thanks. I've used citric acid for years on corroded electrical connections and it works a treat.

Yeah, Vauxhall did and do make some goooood colours. When younger I had a 4 door Viva SL in Riveria Blue Starfire and thought it was fantastic. I later bought a Viva E Coupe from my brother which he and I built in our teens and painted Garnet Starmist, another great colour. I absolutely love Bluebird Sport SL's, but Arden Blue Pearl is by far the best!! These days Silver is too common! Sorry all you Snoot fans! :lol:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Oooh fatal mistake. You admitted to owning other vivas. So the next questions are, photos, reg numbers???

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:06 pm

HBPeter wrote:Oooh fatal mistake. You admitted to owning other vivas. So the next questions are, photos, reg numbers???

Peter

Sorry, no photos but reg nos and details PM'ed.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Well I tried the citric acid trick on our caravan electrics. We've just bought a second hand caravan and the 12S socket was green and furry inside. Our local chemist stocks the powder - mixed it up and dropped the socket into it. It fizzed quite a bit and one of the terminals dissolved (oops) - but the rest came up sparkling.

I think the one that dissolved had been eaten away by corrosion. But I guess a weak solution is better :thanx:
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 pm

It must have been strong! Never had a thing completely dissolve before but if it was very corroded then there was possibly nothing but corrosion left. The citric acid attacks the corrosion but leaves the brass. So, if it's all corrosion, it's all going to dissolve! It certainly beats scrubbing with wet or dry!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Not much has been happening for a while, been very busy with my real job!

I have been trying to start the engine and run it out of the car when I get time for a couple of weeks.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21842

The engine was turning over slowly, even with the plugs out, so the starter was suspect. Some time in the past the threads had been stripped on the copper starter/battery connection so I tried adding new threads with solder with limited success. A new solenoid cap was needed.

On opening the solenoid another reason for low speed was evident - burnt connections. :(

The brushes were next. Badly worn but the commutator was in good condition. There seems to have been a short there as well.

All good now so I'll have another go on Saturday if I get time. :D

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:27 pm

It started 1st time!! What a suprise! :imsmiling:

A squirt of easystart in both carbs, switch on the ignition and then the starter.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_C-0bN ... e=youtu.be

I wasn't expecting it to so please excuse the poor video taken on my cheap work phone.

I kept the wiring and switches well away from the 5L plastic fuel can for safety.

The oil pressure gauge reads 40+psi - so well pleased. I think that number 4 cylinder isn't firing all the time so will have to investigate. The plugs and leads are over 30 years old....says it all really!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Brilliant, nice when things go well. Get it stuffed under the bonnet!!

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration