1972 Nail Project

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1972 Nail Project

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Graeme wrote:Personally would say it needs to be a lot lower. :mrgreen:

Have you thought about coilovers to play with the height?

Hi Graeme, Yes I have thought of coilovers, but this was always going to be a '70's build- the way I would have built it in 1979 -80 ish when I first started. The plan for the future is to get it running like it should have 30 odd years ago and enjoy it for a year or so then, in progressive steps bring it up to date. :D

My immediate plan it to enjoy it as is for a while and then fit the '70's tuning gear I've collected over the years - 3H head, VF2 and 48 Dellortos. The next steps are things like full engine management, coil overs etc. I've already planned and fitted the basic wiring for the future electronics.
:goodideasign:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:16 pm

HBPeter wrote:Dont encourage him! :oldage2:

Peter

Peter, Encouragement is always welcome but I tend to think about it for a while, that's why it's taken 35 years to get this far! I'm not going to rush it now :excellent:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Now I've been running the car for a couple of weeks it's time to finish off the detail bits.

I have an new set of original 1970's 'Paddy Hopkirk' bucket recliners which I got as a 21st birthday present for the car, but they are nylon and don't have headrests. They also are too far away from the 'original Sport SL seats to look right. So, time for a search in the breakers to see if anything suitable could be found. I love breakers yards :D

A pair of leather Alfa 156 seats were bartered for and taken home a few months ago. I would have preferred Alfa 147 3 door seats as they have the tilt function, however none could be sourced locally. A bit of ingenuity with brackets, hinges and a tight squeeze and you can get into the rear seat!

They almost look like they could be the original seats with vertical fluting and perforated insert panels just like the Sport SL and they are made by Momo, the Italian seat and steering wheel maker. Trouble is that the only ones I could get were grey. Hmmmm... :(

A quick internet search turned up leather colour change dye and sealer. So this was today's finishing touch.

Just one coat applied and already looking good. :D

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Here's the finished result. Even the heavily worn driver's bolster almost looks like new!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:52 am

Those seats are not too dissimilar to my Momos. I think mine were from a alfa GTV. They do indeed match the rear Viva seats quite well and many people do not notice them as anything but original seats straight away.
Very comfy- I want more for the Triumph Wagon and more for the HB wagon we have recently bought :-)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:24 am

I got a local car graphics firm, ATM Graphics, to make up the Sport SL badge for the bootlid.

I chose the original factory colour scheme that my car had when it was Tasmin Orange. I had to keep some originality LOL!

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Finished off the engine bay today......

....but forgot to fit the cam cover breather hose.... :(

The alloy cam cover doesn't have a baffle inside it like the steel one, the oil spray from one of the lobes is directly in line with the breather hole.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:45 pm

yoeddynz wrote:Those seats are not too dissimilar to my Momos. I think mine were from a alfa GTV. They do indeed match the rear Viva seats quite well and many people do not notice them as anything but original seats straight away.
Very comfy- I want more for the Triumph Wagon and more for the HB wagon we have recently bought :-)

HB Wagon???? Do tell??

This Firenza just keeps on getting better, really looking forward to seeing it at Billing.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm

About 3 yeas ago I set a target of getting my car to Billing 2014. Well I made it! :D

Got a chance to park up between 2 award winning cars :lol:

And we got into the judging ring for the Chairman's Cup

But we didn't get home without a hitch.

Fractured fuel pipe in 2 places to the front carb 30 miles from home

Thankfully no other damage.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Very smart bit of work all around... well done on the goal and reaching it, was a loverly car and inspires me to get *Bleep* in gear for next year
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration