There may be trouble ahead

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: There may be trouble ahead

Postby rizzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

With the need to get the underside finished i figured it would be easier to borrow my brothers spit and do it that way, just had to modify the brackets to suit, the back ones were a bit of a pain as when mounted to the bumper mounts which seems the norm on most cars i found it flexed too much, so had to make up addition mounts to the boot floor.

Ill post up a pick of the rear mount when i remember.
Well after a lot of faffing about i managed to get it loaded and it works a treat, spent the rest of day looking at what needed to be done.

HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Wont quite do a 360 as the ramp gets in the way but its good enough.
Attachments
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks great - so much easier!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby wolf » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:34 pm

rizzo wrote:...just had to modify the brackets to suit, the back ones were a bit of a pain as when mounted to the bumper mounts which seems the norm on most cars i found it flexed too much, so had to make up addition mounts to the boot floor... Ill post up a pick of the rear mount when i remember.

I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to find this thread.... I'm just in the early stages of a similar adventure. Interested in those rear brackets, as mine is suffering from the dreaded "flex".

Also, any advice (or links) on the specifics of removing the "wings" (on this side of the pond fenders are bolted on cars), as I can't figure out how you folks manage to find and remove all the spot welds (if that's how you're doing it).
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 pm

wolf wrote:Also, any advice (or links) on the specifics of removing the "wings" (on this side of the pond fenders are bolted on cars), as I can't figure out how you folks manage to find and remove all the spot welds (if that's how you're doing it).

I've only done a HC, but it is just a case of finding all the spot welds and drilling them out with something suitable. I've used a spot weld drill on a lot of them, but I found that in particular on the front wings towards the bottom of the door pillars there were a lot of welds very close together. At that point, the only solution was to grind the flange of the wing away with a die grinder. As I was replacing the wings anyway, that didn't matter. If I'd been keeping them, I'd have had to replace that section of the flange before re-fitting.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:19 pm

I must admit i did wonder if this was an issue with others as i've seen another recently mounted on the rear shock mounts.

HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 pm

This inner bar in the boot is attached to the back side of the bumper mountings, the cross bar is bolted through the grommet holes with large washer spacers so the floor isn't squashed, i thought that was enough but the offside still had movement as it wasnt direct to the load, so i added another tab that used a hole i fitted for the battery mount.

HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Made it up as i went along to be honest, i started with the two rear outer mounts, box section bolted through with a decent spacer so as not to squash the panel, then added the bar between the two and bolted through the number plate wiring hole, then onto the inner mount.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought the front mount was ok but it has some side flex probably because the steel is not thick enough or the frame is too far away.

so turning the car on its side the bar rests against the front panel which i will chuck in a spacer so it wont shift as i'm not about to remount it again.

Regards you wings i would agree with the above, i would use sandpaper first to high light the spot welds, or a wire wheel, then use your spot weld drill, 8mm probably big enough to cover the weld, then use, die grinder and burrs as and when along with slit discs. once you have drilled the welds, use a very flat chisel or as i used an engineers hack saw blade with a chamfer ground on the end, cut down to about 6 inch it will take a bit of hammering.
If the wings are scrap just be mindful of damaging the inner wings by cutting and grinding when as needed.

I like the picture with the GTO engine sat in front of the car, :D come on then you must have more to say, what are you up too?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Prior to fitting the car to the spit, i had looked at the original chassis leg gusset and decided to box it in for additional strength.

Will also be strengthening the side and bottom of the leg aswel.

Fitted the cross member so that i could see where brake pipe, fuel pipes and battery leads will go, just enough room between x member and floor. :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration