There may be trouble ahead

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: There may be trouble ahead

Postby jpsmit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:27 am

Thank you for that! am just about to restart running lines and it never occured to me to install the cross member first - phew dodged that bullet!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:10 pm

jpsmit wrote:Thank you for that! am just about to restart running lines and it never occured to me to install the cross member first - phew dodged that bullet!

I think you'll be OK without fitting it JP. Your's is standard and mounts below the chassis rails whereas Rizzo's is modified and fits up between the rails.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:16 pm

the back ones were a bit of a pain as when mounted to the bumper mounts which seems the norm on most cars i found it flexed too much,

Just imagine how much flex I had with a wooden rotisserie!
spit.gif
spit.gif (9 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby rizzo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:26 pm

I bet that gave out some strange noises when it was turned, good job though, well done.

Making the most of the Christmas holidays, i want to wax oil the chassis along with other nooks and crannies but there is not alot of access into the chassis so decided to fit 14 holes where i can shuv my tube in to give a good squirt.

Some grommets to fit when the jobs done, also put in a couple of drain holes.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:32 pm

I'm not too keen on drilling the floor, bulk and panels to fit wiring, pipes, cables, hoses etc and came across these little fellas on ebay they come in different thread sizes, so i decided on 4mm.

There you go, real handy to mount the loom too with a p clip.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby wolf » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:22 am

rizzo wrote:I must admit i did wonder if this was an issue with others as i've seen another recently mounted on the rear shock mounts.
The attachment IMG_2552.JPG is no longer available

Simple and brilliant solution. And I like the additional centre connection. I'll likely do something similar, thanks.

I aimed to get the rotation axis close to where I guessed the centre of mass would be, so I have more offset on both front and rear, but used rectangular tubing for better stiffness. On the front that tubing was just a tiny bit too wide to fit through the slots, so I had to cut a side off it.

rizzo wrote:I like the picture with the GTO engine sat in front of the car, :D come on then you must have more to say, what are you up too?

The up and forward facing headers, and that bit of an intercooler showing in the initial picture should give some clues...

Thanks also for the advice on the wing removal. I suppose my biggest deterrent right now is I can't get the doors off (I made several tools like the "D1162" tool, but even with a big hammer, the pins won and the tools lost those battles). The door alignment is still spot on for both (and there's no noticeable wear in the pins), so I didn't want to hammer any harder and potentially ruin the alignments. I did find the thread here on the custom made pin pulling tool, so I might try to build something similar.
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby rizzo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Only fitting the one, why not fit twin? lovely looking motor though. have you got a thread on this build anywhere? it would be good to follow.

To be honest you would be better off removing the doors to get the wings off to gain access to the rear mount/closure panel, as thats where its welded. i had big probs removing the hinge pins and made up a tool which performed well, ie snapping the pin, :D

I wasn't happy with the clearance between the cross member and the floor, initially i thought it was ok, so got the grinder out again to make more room n/s & o/s.

HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby wolf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:41 am

rizzo wrote:Only fitting the one, why not fit twin? lovely looking motor though. have you got a thread on this build anywhere? it would be good to follow.

Yes, twins.

No build thread, sorry. I'm posting the odd, carefully composed pictures on my Facebook page, but I'm intentionally torturing my Drag Week friends, by not disclosing what the car is yet. They never had any HBs in the USA (and very few HAs), so it will be very unique to them. I am taking pictures along the way, so once the cat is out of the bag, I could create a retroactive build thread here if there's interest. If you're on Facebook, PM me your page info and I'll add you as a friend, if you want to follow along in the meantime.
wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:41 am

Hey Ed, didn't realize you were working on the HB - can you add me to the facebook page?

John-Peter Smit

thanks!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby wolf » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:40 am

jpsmit wrote:Hey Ed, didn't realize you were working on the HB - can you add me to the facebook page?

John-Peter Smit

thanks!

J-P, sent you a message on FB, won't let me send you a friend request directly.

Rizzo, I couldn't turn off the engineering mind, so I took a different approach to stiffening up the rear spit mounts - I tied them to the the boot hinge mounts, since that area of the body has LOTS of structure in it.

wolf
SL Viva
SL Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration