Carpet fitting tips

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Carpet fitting tips

Postby Paul Dawson » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Any tips on fitting a new carpet? I've bought one from Coverdale so it ought to fit pretty well. But I need to cut out for the gear lever, handbrake, seats etc. Is it just common sense or are there any mysterious secrets to it?

My last attempt to fit a carpet (in our bathroom) ended up in a disaster :oops:
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Carpet fitting tips

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Leave the gear lever to last. Tape the carpet down firmly so that it can't move about to much, cut out the handbrake and screw down the gator metal trim to hold the carpet in place even better.

I assume that your car won't have a centre console so the trimming around the gear lever needs to be spot on. Cut a six pointed star in the middle of the gear lever hole to allow you to bend back the carpet. Use a brand new Stanley knife blade to cut the hole very accurately around the gearlever upstand.

Tape the edges down to the sill tops below the plastic sill trims and up behind the kick trims in the front footwells so that it doesn't come loose with use.

Good luck and take your time :goodideasign:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 am

Does the gear lever come off quite easily on the OHV car (it is an OHV isn't it Paul)? If so, do that so that you can lay the carpet flat on the tunnel - with the lever in place it will be a nightmare to cut in the correct place.

(ETA - sorry if that's obvious)
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Paul Dawson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks chaps. Yes - it's OHV, so removing the gear lever makes sense.

I'm glad I asked, I'd have tried fitting it from one side first and working across.

I've got some strong double-sided tape somewhere. I think that might be a good idea to keep it in place.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 pm

I was looking at buying one of these as mine has no carpet at the moment. What's the quality and fit like? Does it come in 2 parts like replacement carpets used to years ago?

Good luck with the fitting! Be keen to hear how you got on.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

The Coverdale comes in two parts and I actually found it quite easy to fit. I did the back half first which comes just forward of the handbrake lever. I used pins to locate the holes for the seat belts bolts and various screws. The part where the handbrake lever goes is roughly marked on the rear but I measured it before cutting. It was pretty much spot on.

The front is a bit trickier, getting it to fit around the heater area needed a bit of trimming. I didn't remove the gear lever, I got the carpet into about the right position and then cut a small cross into the carpet for the gear stick to come through. Once I knew it was about the right place I carefully trimmed around the gear stick until I could cut into the metal ring around the stick. The rubber gaiter then sits nicely onto it.

It's a bit of a loose fit around the transmission tunnel, but I think they used to be anyway. It will probably settle in a bit after a while. I'm pretty pleased with it. It makes the car totally different to drive. Much quieter.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby mazzo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks - that's really helpful. I'm not at the stage of ordering yet as I need to finally get rid of the leaks (why the carpet went originally!) and I'm clearly not finding all of them yet......

But the fit looks good and the effect is nice, so when the time comes, I'll get one.
1971 1600 HC DeLuxe
1971 Green 2 door HC Base model
1978 Red 4 door Viva E from new
1969 HB 1159 4 door SL
mazzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration