BEAGLE RESTORATION

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

BEAGLE RESTORATION

Postby logsplitterman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi,
I have at last started working on the interior of the Beagle, making the vinyl covered hardboard trim panels in the rear area, the originals are completely shot , but enough remains to provide patterns. Does any forum member have any ideas on insulation, the gap between the hardboard trim panel and the outer steel body can be as much as 3" in places. I remember finding pieces of 1" thick polystyrine when i stripped the interior many years ago but they may have been stuffed in by an keen owner at some time. Did Martin Walter use any insulation in their original conversion of the HA van, is insulation neccessary, if it is, what could i use, perhaps loft insulation which would certainly fill the gap?? The estate will probably not be used during winter months but it may help to reduce noise and vibration. Has anyone any thoughts, your help would be gratefully appreciated. Finally does any club member own a Beagle with original rear trim, if so i would love to have a chat and pick their brains.
Thanks,
Alan Hughes
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: BEAGLE RESTORATION

Postby 1972nail » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Loft insuation will soak up water. If you have any condensation in the van, and you will if you use it on a rainy day, it will get wet and will hold the damp. All your restoration work could be for nothing as it will start to rust very quickly.

A better idea is to fit a bin liner behind the panel and spray in some expanding foam. The foam will expand into the shape perfectly and the bin liner will stop it from sticking to anything. Not too much foam though, as it will expand quickly and with a lot of pressure causing the panels to bulge out!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby logsplitterman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks 1972 Nail for that, good point about loft insulation holding water, so shall stay clear of that, your idea of expanding foam is a good one.
I should probably have put this question on the existing thread on my Beagle restoration, if the experts would like to move it please do so.
Many thanks
Alan
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Roma's never had any insulation fitted anywhere...
and was made by the same company so I suspect that the beagle never had it fitted either....
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby logsplitterman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks Steve.
Regards Alan
logsplitterman