Interior trim panels

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Interior trim panels

Postby chrisdunham » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi all

This is an issue on my 2 door HB, the rear side trim panels are pulling away from the bottom edge of the side window which leaves a pretty unsightly gap! I know this is a real first world problem but it does spoil the look :shock:

Also, one of the panels has a split in the vinyl where I tried to 'manipulate' it back into place, so I think it would be easier to just have the vinyl re-covered, if such a thing exists?

So, the questions are, a) do people screw these panels down to close the gap and b) can anyone recommend somewhere that will do vinyl re-trimming?

Cheers :thanx:
1967 HB Viva SL - Pampas Green
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Interior trim panels

Postby bedfordbad » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 pm

My 72 hc sl has the same problems with the back door cards especially on the top..
There's around an inch gap!! I suspect there's not an easy fix but I have so far refrained from using screws!!!
Any help greatly appreciated from me too!!
Steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Pampass green eh? is it green inside cos i think i have two spare?

Bill
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby chrisdunham » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:16 am

Rizzo, the interior colour is Fern Green (off the top of my head), if you do have them I would be very interested!! I have family in York so it would be a good excuse to see them/collect viva parts :mrgreen:
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby chrisdunham » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:19 am

bedfordbad wrote:My 72 hc sl has the same problems with the back door cards especially on the top..
There's around an inch gap!! I suspect there's not an easy fix but I have so far refrained from using screws!!!
Any help greatly appreciated from me too!!
Steve

Yes mine is pretty much the same. I did try to fill the void but it looked terrible! I'm sure I saw a HB with screws holding the trim panel down (2 or 3 along the top) but I think they were covered with chrome caps for a better looking finish. The issue I have now is the vinyl is split so if i screw it into place without recovering, the split will open up even more. Fun times!
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Is this moulded vinyl to cover the top of the inner painted panel, similar to the top edge of HPF and Firenza SL doors? Jon Randall made a neat job of retrimming the top of his doors by gluing the vinyl to the panel - there are some photos on here in his build thread I think.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Johnboy HB » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:15 pm

I have the same problem on my SL90 Brabham, I was thinking of having the rear cards recovered but with extra material where it meets with the side window & overlapping it on the window flange to pull it in & put the window seal over the top in the same way as it fits along the door opening, if you put screws through it you risk breaking through the hardboard & end up with it permanently misshapen
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby chrisdunham » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:55 pm

I have added a picture of mine, which is currently two tone, although I am not too worried about keeping that if I can make a good repair. i.e. re-cover or just outright replace. You can see the hairline split where I tried to force it when it was out of the car. It may not seem like a big issue but it is really bugging me :evil:

I think some people have soaked the hardboard rear with water spray bottles to make it more malleable, in which case you could possibly start to screw it back, very gently i.e. not with a DeWalt screwdriver on Impact setting! :mrgreen:
Attachments
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Ive never had mine off the car yet...a 72 hc sl, so im not sure what they are made from but if they are hardboard surely you could carefully dampen the board, bend it to the required angle then slowly dry them out again!
Or maybe experiment with steam to heat and moisten the affected area. .
Then hopefully they would stay in the right position, whats your thoughts?
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby chrisdunham » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

bedfordbad wrote:Ive never had mine off the car yet...a 72 hc sl, so im not sure what they are made from but if they are hardboard surely you could carefully dampen the board, bend it to the required angle then slowly dry them out again!
Or maybe experiment with steam to heat and moisten the affected area. .
Then hopefully they would stay in the right position, whats your thoughts?

I've had them off several times and tried the water method, it does work to a degree, the trouble is when the board dries fully it is inclined to warp outwards! This is why I think that wetting the board but then screwing it down is the only real option for a flush fit, albeit with screws on show :shock: Of course don't try doing it when they are dry otherwise you may split them...ask me how I know!!
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Next

Return to Restoration