Interior trim panels

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: Interior trim panels

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Ive tried all that with the panels on your 2.3 SL Steve. they are hardboard type composite - steamed them - ironed them - buggered the dining room carpet in the process :oops: Left them to dry out with heavy weights to keep them flat - all looked good so put them back on and over a period of time went back to the old warped shape. :imsmiling:
Best solution was to get rid :wink: - and there you are Steve - it now your prob!! :lol: :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby bedfordbad » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for that fred! Mate!
looks like screws then! I cant leave them the way they are as they stick out that far i can only get 1 person in the back......
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Might try and find some more panels :?:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Paul Dawson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:19 am

Off the top of my head - in the days when I built model aircraft we used to have certain parts which we needed to reinforce but keep very light - one trick was to superglue carbon fibre rods into things. A good RC model shop will stock carbon fibre rods of varying thicknesses. It sticks well with superglue and it might help keep panels straight once you've steamed them and got them flat again.

You may need to route out a groove in the hardboard panel to make them sit flush where it lies flush with the metalwork.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:45 am

I'm considering rebuilding my Sportshatch rear quarter panels (the long HC estate ones with Magnum-style tops) using a sheet of aluminium instead of the hardboard used originally, which will effectively remove any problem with it keeping the shape along the top edge. It's quite a regular curve though, some might be more difficult to do.

My only concern is whether the cold alloy will generate condensation that might cause more problems. Maybe some kind of fibreglass is the answer.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:11 pm

I was just about to suggest GRP when I read your reply, Mike. 2 or 3 layers of GRP on the inside of the whole panel should keep it straight.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby chrisdunham » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:48 pm

OK, thought I had better finally update this, in case anyone is interested!

After a lot of umming and ahhhing, I decided to bite the bullet and screw the trims down, to sort out the gap between the card panel and the bottom of the side windows. I used stainless steel screws in screw cups, and pleased to say 3 screws on each panel brought them down into line and didnt look all that out of place either. RESULT.

The issue I had then was the condition of the cards themselves. One had a hairline split, and the other a slight tear from pulling the rear seat out once. Both were pretty minor, but had been bugging me for some time.

I ended up getting 2 meters of Vinide rexine in British Racing Green from a place called Martrim in Sandbach. It was the closest I could find in terms of colour match and embossed pattern. I set about removing, cleaning the cards up and of course covering them in the new vinyl. This is not a particularly easy task, the new vinyl does not take well to dips and curves, I can only surmise that when they were first "made" by Vauxhall, they were vacuum formed, as the original vinyl is certainly more plasticy, and stretched into place.

The only real loss is that the original cards were two tone, and now they are all one colour. I actually prefer it this way, but would lose points with the purists! After a lot of spread glue and manipulation, I finally got them done and back in the car, see attached picture. They are not perfect, but I am happy with the outcome.

All told, it cost me around £70, a lot of work, and all to solve a few things that no sane passer by would even notice :shock: :mrgreen: Still, that's all part of the fun, isn't it.....?? Apologies for the quality of the pic, the light was going by the time I got finished...

EDIT: She is also 48yrs old today!
Attachments
1967 HB Viva SL - Pampas Green
chrisdunham
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 pm

Well done Chris - looks good - a good tidy job :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby bedfordbad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice one chris, i think i will be going down the 3 screw route with mine! Just cant think of any other way, my hc sl rear cards stick out around an inch from the panel!
steve
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

A quality job! :D

(And if you were so inclined you could always paint the screw heads to match the vinyl colour)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration