1969 Vauxhall Viva LHD slow restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1969 Vauxhall Viva LHD slow restoration

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:48 pm

billy_bunter wrote:Great work..

Can you get core plug sets new?

I bought this set on e-bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Core-Plugs-Beagle-Cavalier-Chevanne-Viva-Chevette-Firenza-RWD-OHV-1-1-1-2-1-3-/150314232815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall|Model%3AViva&hash=item22ff6d2bef
Not installed it yet, but I think should be fine.
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Hello everybody! Unbelievably six years have passed since i've posted something about my Viva. :oops: Good news is that i still own my Viva, bad news - it still sits in garage with empty engine bay. To my excuse, i can say, that lot of time was spent on other projects: i repaired and got back on the road my 1977 Opel Commodore Coupe and, celebrating it's 40th birthday, in 2017 a 4500 km roadtrip was made to Opel's Russelsheim factory, where this Commodore was born forty years ago.
That's me with Commodore

At the historic gate of Opel factory with Adam Opel himself. :)

In Opel factory's museum

Then, in 2018, i finally fulfilled my dream of owning a classic american car - i bought a 1974 Lincoln Continental Mark IV.
The day i bought it

The car was in fairly good shape, but still some bodywork was needed.

Finished product. :)
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:34 pm

But, luckily, not all these years were dedicated just to non-Vauxhall cars. :) Mostly i've tried to find and buy all the parts needed for engine repairs. When the valve guides were repaired, at first it was decided to keep original valves, but, after inspecting them more closely, it was decided to replace valves.

There was a problem with valve springs: one of the springs at some point was replaced with wrong, cut to "fit" spring:

Luckily i was able to find a set of new valve springs:

One thing, that i've searched for, for quite some time, was the oil pump. Finally i've bought a genuine GM oil pump. It was sold as oil pump for 1256cc Vauxhall Chevette, but i did not saw any significant difference with original pump:
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:25 am

Also i bought engine gasket kits and brand new water pump.

Brand new engine and gearbox mounts:

Clutch was badly worn and needed to be replaced. Original clutch on my car was Borg&Beck, so i wanted to find clutch parts from exactly this manufacturer.

Bought new clutch cable for LHD car, at least, judging by information available in this forum, it should fit LHD Viva.
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Have you checked your oil pump for the correct position of the slot on the end of the shaft that interfaces with the distributor? The later 1256 engine oil pumps have a centre slot drive to mate with a centre drive dizzy - usually Bosch but you can get centre drive Delco - the original dizzy is probably offset slot drive.
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Have you checked your oil pump for the correct position of the slot on the end of the shaft that interfaces with the distributor? The later 1256 engine oil pumps have a centre slot drive to mate with a centre drive dizzy - usually Bosch but you can get centre drive Delco - the original dizzy is probably offset slot drive.

Thanks for Your advice! Yes, I've checked it - NOS oil pump has correct slot for my distributor-slot is offset just as my old pump. As i wrote, it was advertised as oil pump from 1256 Chevette, but i don't know if it's indeed for Chevette.
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:13 am

So, slowly i keep moving forward. Crankshaft has been cleaned and reground to fit undersize bearings.

I've noticed interesting issue with connecting rod orientation.

In these pictures piston/rod assemblies are placed on table with notches on pistons indicating FRONT facing up. You can see in one of the photos, that one connecting rod is positioned other way around. I am pretty sure, that this is from factory as it is very unlikely, that this engine has ever been overhauled. Factory shop manual does not say anything about correct connecting rod orientation. The only thing to look for is notches on pistons. When i will replace pistons, should or can i place all connecting rods on pistons same way or is it not that important?
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:06 pm

A little, but very important update. Ring gear on my flywheel was badly damaged, worn out.
That was a problem, because I could not find a replacement ring gear anywhere. In the end Adrian Miller saved me (us?) by offering new ring gears for sale. Thank You very much! I already installed the new ring gear and it looks and fits nicely.

Not directly related to ongoing engine repairs, but still interesting finding: i bought genuine Vauxhall Viva factory shop manuals and also a Vauxhall Viva parts catalogue

1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:26 pm

Hi, everybody! Fulfilling this topic's title, restoration is truly slow, but there is some progress. :D
Before assembling connecting rods with new pistons, I'd decided to check the weight of the pistons, rods and pins. Pistons and pins were OK, but I was surprised, that there was a 10 gram difference between lightest and heaviest rod. So I'd made DIY tool for weighing connecting rods.

Weight almost exactly same on all rods.

Something's cooking in owen. :angrywife:

Piston and rod assemblies with rings installed

I'd replaced all the core plugs and camshaft bearings

I wanted to sandblast the engine prior to painting it, so I'd temporarily assembled the engine block with head, oil pan, valve cover and plugged all threads and holes.

After sandblasting.

I'd took the engine apart and thoroughly washed out all the sand from head and block. Almost looks like freshly cast. :)

You can have it in any color you like as long as it's black.

Also I'd cleaned and sent to recoat with zinc all the bolts, nuts and washers.

Installing crankshaft and camshaft.

Pistons and connecting rods installed.
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 1969 Viva De-Luxe » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:51 pm

Someone decided, that everything is going too well, so at one point I discovered, that in all these years I've lost somewhere valve spring caps and retaining collars for all eight valves. :new2_shrug: I would love to buy eight valve caps and sixteen collars if anyone has them.
Parts number 16 and 17.

Also I'm searching for decent starter rubber boot. Part number 23.

Maybe someone has a spare bonnet lock? Part number 1.

I would appreciate if anyone has something from this list of parts, that I need.
1969 Viva De-Luxe
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Previous

Return to Restoration