Vinyl Seat Care

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Vinyl Seat Care

Postby Bazz100 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:26 am

My 1970 HB has black vinyl seats (mock leather) and although the drivers has suffered some wear and tear, the rear and front passenger seats are not bad at all. Can anyone recommend a care product that will help them resist ageing? My first stop for this kind of stuff is usually the Autoglym range but I'd be interested to know what others think.

Thanks

Bazz
Always wear gloves at a crime scene
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Vinyl Seat Care

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Its actually called Ambla, developed by ICI. Used to be a stuff called vinylcote, used for changing the colour but think they did a cleaning stuff as well. Other wise a scrub with soapy warm water works just as well.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Bazz100 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:38 pm

HBPeter wrote:Its actually called Ambla, developed by ICI. Used to be a stuff called vinylcote, used for changing the colour but think they did a cleaning stuff as well. Other wise a scrub with soapy warm water works just as well.

Peter

Thanks for that info. I'm more interested in trying to maintain it than clean it - is there anything that will help keep it flexible?

B
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Bazz100 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Seems like Ambla is still big business http://www.ambla.com/index.php. That site gives details on cleaning, but nothing on what to do when it reaches its 45th Birthday :( .

B
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Thats interesting to know its still being made. Might be worth sending an email asking about care and if they do anything similar to the HB seats still. Would make rescuing HB interiors easier.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby Bazz100 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:29 pm

I'll do and get back. I did check what they say on the website but is just says to just about avoid everything but soapy water. I guess also that a mail to Autoglym would be worthwhile; their leather restorer is excellent on leather but best not try it without advice.

I always found those seats in the HB very nice to sit in. In contrast, the one car I had with genuine leather seats were so sweaty in summer that I don't ever want leather seats again.

B
Bazz100
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Mike Robinson » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 pm

If you want to refinish the upholstery there are dyes such as Vinylkote available. I've just ordered some from the supplier http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/. They do a cleaning fluid for vinyl and I guess could advise about use on Ambla - I found them helpful .

I remember using Ambla for car uphostery when it was new ( about 1963!). I always thought it was vinyl but on a two way stretch backing, which makes it really easy to use.

Mike
Mike Robinson
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration