VIVA HA Roulette Blue

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

VIVA HA Roulette Blue

Postby ralmac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi, I'm new to the club, new to the forum and new to any sort of restoration projects. I bought a 1964 Viva HA in 2014, good runner, just recently passed its MOT but needs a respray. The paint is faded and cracked in places, shiny and dull but the bodywork is pretty solid underneath.

I don't want to go down the route of full strip down restoration, just a pretty straight forward respray would do. Local paintshops don't seem to understand this concept and use the words classic, car and restoration a lot, obviously adding to the cost.

Any re spray suggestions or recommendations?

Paint code is 613A Trim 427.
ralmac
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: VIVA HA Roulette Blue

Postby Paul Dawson » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:17 pm

I faced a similar issue with mine. In the end I decided I wasn't after a car that looked like new and I'd rather feel I can get on with running repairs and maintenance without worrying about a showroom finish.

I bought a compressor and a cheap spray gun and am learning how to spray paint. Doing it bit by bit doesn't make for the best finish, but it keeps it on the road and looking reasonable.

A bodyshop will charge towards a grand just for a basic respray so it's well worth having a go yourself. The worst that can happen is that you end up having to send it to a bodyshop after all.

The tip I was given by a local bodyshop is not to remove anything you don't have to. If you were doing an concours restoration you'd take everything off of course. But for a basic paint job the less you remove the less there is to break, lose, go wrong etc etc. I must confess I wasn't convinced, but I'm beginning to see that it makes sense.

If you do it yourself you know what's what and if some rust appears in a year or two then you know you can sort it out again.

Yesterday I started on the boot which was the last bit looking a bit too scabby

Previous work

It looks better on the photo than on close scrutiny, but it's good enough and I'm not worried about chips or scratches. The more I do the more confident I'm getting and it's a lot more satisfying than paying someone else to do it.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Hello and welcome. Good prep is the key. Even with cheap equipment and little know how as long as you spend some time and effort on the preperation you should get a decent result. Do you have any photos of the car, and its reg number?

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby ralmac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the input, much appriciated. I'll definitely give serious thought to your suggestion of buying a compressor and spray gun, obviously do the research and homework first. Like yourself I don't want a concourse finish just something all one colour and passable.

Good luck with your paint job, looks pretty good. Will let you know how I get on.
ralmac
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby ralmac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Peter

Thanks for the welcome and reply. No photos as yet but will post some shortly. Reg no is AFX 234B, if you have any info on the car I'd be grateful if you'd share it.

Thanks again

Ralph

HBPeter wrote:Hello and welcome. Good prep is the key. Even with cheap equipment and little know how as long as you spend some time and effort on the preperation you should get a decent result. Do you have any photos of the car, and its reg number?

Peter
ralmac
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Only info we have is from when it was on ebay in 2011 and again in 2012. Its in our register, which you can see if you join the owners club. Some photos would be nice when you get round to it.

Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby ralmac » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Paul,

Forgot to ask........... what spec of compressor did you buy? Looking on the internet I'm just getting conflicting information.

Cheers Ralph

Paul Dawson wrote:I faced a similar issue with mine. In the end I decided I wasn't after a car that looked like new and I'd rather feel I can get on with running repairs and maintenance without worrying about a showroom finish.

I bought a compressor and a cheap spray gun and am learning how to spray paint. Doing it bit by bit doesn't make for the best finish, but it keeps it on the road and looking reasonable.

A bodyshop will charge towards a grand just for a basic respray so it's well worth having a go yourself. The worst that can happen is that you end up having to send it to a bodyshop after all.

The tip I was given by a local bodyshop is not to remove anything you don't have to. If you were doing an concours restoration you'd take everything off of course. But for a basic paint job the less you remove the less there is to break, lose, go wrong etc etc. I must confess I wasn't convinced, but I'm beginning to see that it makes sense.

If you do it yourself you know what's what and if some rust appears in a year or two then you know you can sort it out again.

Yesterday I started on the boot which was the last bit looking a bit too scabby

Previous work

It looks better on the photo than on close scrutiny, but it's good enough and I'm not worried about chips or scratches. The more I do the more confident I'm getting and it's a lot more satisfying than paying someone else to do it.
ralmac
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Following advice on here I bought a Wolf Sioux 50. 50 litre tank, 8bar/116psi, 9.5cfm displacement, 2.5HP motor. From here http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Air-Line-Accessories

It's the same as the Clarke Panther 50l as sold in Machine Mart, with two differences. A) It comes with Euro connections instead of the UK usual connector (not an issue since they simply screw in and are interchangeable - and the cheap air tools from Lidl all come with Euro connections anyway.) B) It's a lot cheaper.

People will tell you that you need the biggest tank and motor you can afford and they're right - but for occasional use you can get away with smaller. It won't run things like a sander or cutter which use a lot of air, but I have electric versions of those anyway. It's fine for rattle guns and I don't have any problems spraying.

For spraying it means the motor runs a bit more but it's perfectly capable of spraying a panel at a time. It probably won't do a whole bodyshell in one go without the motor getting a bit hot and that's not good for the air supply.

When I am spraying the motor kicks in and out a fair bit but it doesn't struggle to supply enough air. I have a moisture trap on it but so far I've never had any moisture in it.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Restoration