under bonnet felt

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

under bonnet felt

Postby cooperman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:04 pm

does anyone run without the moulded felt on the underside of the bonnet, particularly ohc's. mine is a bit untidy so don't know whether to refit it. i presume its there so that the paint on the bonnet isn't affected by the heat.
any views anyone?
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: under bonnet felt

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:36 pm

It's sound deadening. The HPF didn't have any fitted as standard. I've run mine without it as well without problems.
ImageImage
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:22 pm

I don't run my HPF with anything and the inside of the bonnet has been fine. The good thing about the felt is you can't see any drops of oil that might be ejected from the engine, though that might be seen as a bad thing as well, from an early warning point of view. I do intend to put it in the hatch when it's done, it will be an interesting comparison in terms of noise. That said, the one I have is not in very good condition so I might have the decision made for me. Maybe I'll just get some self-adhesive stuff.

To keep bonnet-related things in the same place, what do people use to spray into the strengthening ribs on the bonnet as a rust-preventative measure? I have a new-old-stock bonnet which has had some surface rust on it, which makes it safe to assume it has some inside those box sections too. If I spray Waxoyl in them, is it just going to melt when the engine gets warm and drip out again?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:15 pm

I soaked the ribs on my bonnet with a Dinatrol wax based rust proofer and have not noticed any problems.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:21 am

Thanks for that David. I guess once it's set there shouldn't be any trouble, but always better to hear from someone who's tried it. And I must put some in the Firenza when I get a minute.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:52 pm

More cars without under bonnet sound deadening than not in my fleet! nasty spring clips hold it on which have always gone rusty :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

I had thought of refurbing one for my car using a GRP 'fleece' surface bonded on with resin. Yes, it well be a hard surface, it will soak up loads of resin and probably won't deaden the sound as it should but it should look good.

Gave up on that idea when I looked out the one I had and it fell in bits.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Restoration