ADHESIVE FOR RUBBER

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

ADHESIVE FOR RUBBER

Postby logsplitterman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi,
Resulting from a recent wanted ad on the forum Chasviva very kindly dug out a rear rubber mat for the Beagle which needed some attention. Ray Mercer gave me a tip that an old car inner tube works well bonded to the underside of the rubber mat. I tried black polyurethane sealant/adhesive and also contact spray adhesive with rather indifferent results.Knowing that somewhere out there a suitable adhesive would be available i Googled it and came up with a supplier in Wrexham--Hillcrest Diving and its helpful proprietor William Roberts who supplies adhesive for repairing hovercraft skirts, inflatables and wetsuits----- BINGO------ if it will glue that lot, it's the one for me.The kit included toluene thinners, neoprene adhesive, hardener and full instructions, and it sticks like s--t to a blanket, fantastic stuff. He has an Ebay shop and 125ml kit costs about £8.
Regards,
Alan
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: ADHESIVE FOR RUBBER

Postby dann01 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:27 am

Try cycle tyre repair glue or any solvent based adhesive. Rubber is what it's meant for and will partially melt the two rubber surfaces to bond them together.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby logsplitterman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:13 pm

Hi Dan,
Steven Gray also suggested bicycle tube repair solution, but i envisaged clearing out the whole stock at Halfords with the amount i needed. The bonus with the stuff i used is that as well as bonding rubber to rubber it will also bond rubber to virtually anything so is handy to have on the garage shelf.
Regards,
Alan.
logsplitterman
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Paul Dawson » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:32 am

I use the adhesive for repairing our inflatable RIBs - any chandlers sell it - and you can pretty happy from the fumes if you're not careful.
Paul Dawson
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Bicycle puncture repair glue isn't what it used to be. They've reduced the organic solvents to reduce the attraction to glue sniffers and 'help protect the environment'. As a result it only just about glues on patches to bicycle tubes.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Return to Restoration