How do you remove the roof lining hb?

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

How do you remove the roof lining hb?

Postby jamezz666 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello,

i haven't yet got round to getting back into my project hb, but i was wondering how do you remove the roof lining from front to back?

Thanks

James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: How do you remove the roof lining hb?

Postby VivaPete » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi
1. Take off all door aperture edge trim and securing clips.
2.Pull back windscreen rubbers and ease out the captured lining all around (use a blunt blade such as a teaspoon handle)
3. Gently free from door pillars and door apertures
4. The tension is then only kept by rods across the roof (where the stitch lines are) so push back headlining to be able to pull out one side of the rod
5. Repeat all the way back to rear window.

All the best.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: How do you remove the roof lining hb?

Postby obees » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:05 pm

If and when you come to replace the lining, Make sure that the roof as no covering of rust on the under surface., Which is common as not dipped when built, The way to tension the new lining is to steam it in for best results. Glue the lining in as it was and let it set, Then find or hire a wallpaper steamer remove the head and insert the tube up the large pillar from the boot and steam for about 15 mins and let it dry, This process shrinks the lining removing slack and can be repeated if not successful the first time. It will be helpful if you sealed the under roof surface to stop rust getting onto the lining.
obees
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration