HB estate

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB estate

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:56 am

I could find one of those useful too. Must look into them.

Hey -whats your user name on RR?
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

I have the same username as on here although I've only posted a couple of times,
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 pm

All finished at the front welding wise, there was only a small patch to weld in the front floorpan & luckily the chassis where the gearbox crossmember bolts on had previously been repaired to a good standard, moving along, all is solid till you get to the back of the sill area
not too bad really just some localised repair sections to make up, not so good news with the wheelarch though
the inner & outer lip has all but completely gone & salvation will come in this form
apparently the profile is pretty much the same front & rear on the same side & at first glance it looks the same from the top of the sill round to the top of the rear lower quarter panel, heres hoping
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:31 pm

I could be wrong but I think the only difference between front and rear is the depth of the lip/flange. There's more of a lip on the rear than on the front.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Your right about the lip flange, I hadn't noticed myself but measured the ones on my saloon & the fronts are half inch deep, the rears three quarter inch
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm

That's about it welding wise I think ( hope ), wheelarch is on, sill end has been repaired as has the lower rear corner
trial fitted
& welded on,
spot welded it on instead of welding continuously in case it distorted the rear wing too much
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

primered engine bay,
painted behind the hinges & water channel before fitting, seeing as I have to paint most of the car, I'm going to have a change of colour, Peacock Blue, to match my other Viva's
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Coming along nicely John, you're doing a crackin' job, well done.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 pm

I do like Peacock Blue. It's one of those really nice 60's colours that will never look good on anything but a 60's car. 8)
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Decided not to try & drill the door hinge pins to fit 8mm roll pins in case I messed it up, & couldn't find any to fit the existing hole [ approx. 7.1mm ] so after checking the original passengers door pins for wear, decided they were ok & refitted the door after spraying the hard to reach parts with Peacock blue paint, was planning to fit roll pins as they are easier to shift if you need to remove the door in the future. Anyway, bare metalled the n/s wing, & filled the many small dings & dents
then sprayed with etch primer, picked up some used back springs from a local garage [ free ]
the pair on the left are off a Corsa or Astra, the one on the right off a Meriva, will see if any of these are suitable to use to raise the ride height a little in the future
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration