HA Roma restoration

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HA Roma restoration

Postby Gromit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:25 pm

It has taken me a while to get started on the restoration of my 1969 HA Roma II ....but I got going last weekend. I had a lot of seized bolts and scrapped knuckles but got off to quite a good start. I have removed the bonnet, instrument panel, front seats, wiring loom, engine and gearbox, heater and wiper motor. Someone had replaced the clutch and exhaust shortly before it was laid up 30 something years ago so I'm hoping that means the engine and gear box were good. I have got more stripping out to do before I have a good look at the structure, but already a number of issues have come to notice....the perforations in the front floor... I put my finger through the chassis rail on the passenger side, the detached gear box mount and the welded "decoupage" covering the drivers side chassis rail! I have been taking some photos to help with reassembly as this is the first Bedford restoration I have done .....I will post some photos when I work out how! I have at least a couple of weekends stripping out before I can start on the metal work but I may recondition some things as I go to make the rebuild quicker and leave the welding until the weather gets warmer. It is amazingly complete, but I am missing a few things and most of the rubber has perished whilst it has been laid up, so will have to start making lists again! If you have any tips on where to get things or hints on HA restorations it would be great to here from you. To be continued...........
Gromit
PS. Below is a picture taken before work started...just to see if I worked out how to post!
Gromit
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: HA Roma restoration

Postby Gromit » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 pm

Now I have worked out how to post images here are some more before work started....
and a few after a weekends work stripping ready for body assessment, with the inside removed
The engine out
and on its stand
lots of small (ish) holes to repair e.g....
and the as yet unknown........
Just waiting for me to get far enough to have a good scrape at the bottom and see how bad it is.......but I think it could be a lot worse ......at least its not missing chunks and there is some thing to make a pattern from!
Gone a bit mad with the pictures now I can, but at least you can see work in progress.
Gromit
Gromit
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 am

Well done for saving the old girl it deserves it because of its rarity! !

Looks to have gone in the standard ha van areas, try and save the wings and front panel as these are very costly to buy if you can find them!!
I will be following this post carefully. ...
I've restored a dozen or more ha commercials so if you need a bit of help just give me a shout!
Steve
Last edited by bedfordbad on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby bedfordbad » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:49 am

My latest project.... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23716
BEDFORD HAE AAB412H
BEDFORD HA ROMA UJJ742F
BEDFORD HA 130 TNN514R
VARIOUS HA VANS AND ROMA`S FOR SPARES.
bedfordbad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Gromit » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

I have not managed to complete a much on the Roma over the last few weeks, but that enabled a few seized bolts to soak in oil and hopefully saved me some scraped knuckles. In a little flurry of activity I have now stripped the rest of the front end which came to bits well after a good soak, I have just left the suspension as I want to keep it mobile for the moment. I have had a better look around now and the front panels are all repairable with a bit of fabrication and welding so that's good. The most awkward repair is where the bonnet hinges mount to the bulkhead as it is rotten on both sides. It would be nice to fix that and realign the bonnet before I take the wing off??
I have been around the metalwork with a heat gun and thermal image camera with some interesting results.....once I had taken of the loose underseal I have marked up the extent of thin metal (it gets hotter quicker) that will need replacing and have found some welded patches that are to thin. Thankfully I have found no filler!
Not much has changed photo wise but below is one of the thin metal welded patches found - this one is in the engine bay on the inner wing so much easier to photograph than the ones underneath...

[url][url=http://postimage.org/image/rt0henl4v/full/]Image[/url]

image hosting 12mb[/url]
I am hoping to find a bit of time and to get back into welding mode - the garage will become more inviting with the lighter evenings and warmer weather on the way, so watch this space!
Gromit
Gromit
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Restoration