HA viva deluxe

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HA viva deluxe

Postby vivahagt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:22 pm

started restoring HA viva i found in scrap yard in doncaster but i am nearing the stage where i ll need to remove the windscreen rubbers for her respray but still abit of welding to do might be replacing front wings GRP. anyway are screen rubbers still available ?
Last edited by vivahagt on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: HA viva deluxe

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:11 pm

East Kent Trim claim to do them - Steve Gray had a van one which he could not get to fit properly :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vivahagt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:04 pm

thanks fred i ll be ok on front seal just rear one seen better days
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivahagt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 pm

progress report
on the viva doors now refitted but i need to find hinge pins for drivers side, i ve cut out the drivers side floor started welding in the repair sections i ve made up and boot floor is now painted in hammerite
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivahagt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:06 pm

good news is i ve decided to keep him was going to sell but couldnt so i ve sold something else, but wings are now repaired and i ve started on sill on the drivers side. posting some pics in second
Attachments
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivahagt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:18 pm

more pics
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivahagt » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:22 pm

rear view before we cut off the outer sill, still looking for rear window seal if you have one
Attachments
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby vivahagt » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:04 pm

currently sat rewiring my viva in the rain, would someone kind enough tell me what colours are solonoid wires as i didnt label it properly, is it the brown and yellow wire or red ones as i have two sets close enough to reach it
vivahagt
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby thomas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 pm

BROWN I think, thick brown/yellow is from the dynamo to control box. Thin brown/yellow goes to ign warning lamp. It's been about four years since I metaphorically chucked control box and dynamo in the skip, and done the sensible thing and fitted an alternator, so I'm relying on memory and some guesswork. Some photos might help.

On the solenoid picture below, in which the white/blue wire is towards the front of the car:

+ The big black wire is going to the starter motor, it is on one terminal of the solenoid all by itself.
+ The thin white/blue goes to the coil live side, it provides the bypass full 12v when cranking the engine.
+ The thin white/red wire is live from the ignition switch, when key is held against the spring to operate starter.
+ The big red wire is from the battery. Under that, on the same post are two other thickish brown wires, also with ring type terminals, one is a brown wire supplying the fusebox and everything else on the car (I strongly recommend fitting a fusible link in this wire, sometime), the other brown wire under the red wire from the battery is the brown wire, carrying charging current from either of the two control box 'B' terminals)

On the dreaded control box, left to right:

+ The little brown wire is an earth for the control box itself, it goes into the loom and back out again, in this picture its other end has black paint on it, but it's the same wire, with a ring terminal under one of the bolts that secure the control box onto the inner wing.
+ Next (L-to-R) is a pair of brown/yellow wires, the thick one goes to the dynamo output terminal, the thinner one goes up to the instruments for the IGN warning lamp.
+ Next is brown/green striped, it goes from dynamo to control box 'F' (Field) terminal.
+ Next is the big brown wire, the other end of which you see in the solenoid photo above (it's splashed with green paint)
+ Last the black-ish wire is the other end of the little brown earth wire, mentioned above.

Hope this helps, I'm aware too you might be positive earth, in which case all bets are off! :goodluck:
Last edited by thomas on Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby thomas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:12 pm

Here is another photo looking up under the control box.

Note that the thinner brown/yellow can also be connected separately to the smaller unused terminal marked WL (Warning Lamp) to the right of where it is connected in the first picture

g'night.
thomas
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration