HB headlining fitting

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HB headlining fitting

Postby terry161157 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:38 pm

Hoping some of you can advise on how difficult it is to fit a new headlining to my HB?
Is it something that is DIY or does it need a professional?
Your advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
Got my HB Viva, Happy Days ............
terry161157
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: HB headlining fitting

Postby terry161157 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I take it nobody from the 33 views can offer any help, thanks anyway, I'll go online and see if I can find help, it's probably a professional job anyway..

Cheers
terry161157
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 am

Fitting a new headlining is fiddly but very do-able. Are you making a new headlining from scratch or do you have a new one to fit? You need to take out all glass and trim, fit the headlining bars into their respective plastic bushes in the roof edge, then, using a good glue ( high quality impact adhesive), plenty of clothes pegs or other such securing item, then gently but firmly stretch your headlining into position ( a hairdryer will soften up the vinyl coated fabric ), glue to the outside edge of all door and window apertures and secure with the pegs ....leave until the glue has completely gone off, then refit all glass and trim.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby miketemplar » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:15 am

Hi Terry,
I'll try ringing you again and talk you through it.
miketemplar
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby terry161157 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks a lot Mike.
Much appreciated
terry161157
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby terry161157 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:25 pm

lord13 wrote:Fitting a new headlining is fiddly but very do-able. Are you making a new headlining from scratch or do you have a new one to fit? You need to take out all glass and trim, fit the headlining bars into their respective plastic bushes in the roof edge, then, using a good glue ( high quality impact adhesive), plenty of clothes pegs or other such securing item, then gently but firmly stretch your headlining into position ( a hairdryer will soften up the vinyl coated fabric ), glue to the outside edge of all door and window apertures and secure with the pegs ....leave until the glue has completely gone off, then refit all glass and trim.

Thanks for this advice mate, it's much appreciated. :thanx:
terry161157
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Terry, I made my own headlining using the old one as a pattern, some clear nylon thread from the internet and the mother in laws sewing machine. As lord13 said its a bit fiddly but take your time and its very do-able. I bought some impact adhesive from a vehicle trimmers and 40 bulldog clips from a well known online auction site, mine is an HC estate and i could have done with another 10. After fitting the roof bars (mine were colour coded) I stretched the headling and clipped it, once I had adjusted it I removed a couple of clips at a time and glued it on the outside of the apertures. Left it for a couple of days and removed the clips. I have heard if you get a crease you can use a hairdryer to try and remove it.
Good luck
Marcus
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Restoration