HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby 1972nail » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm

I made a set of mud flaps for my car using the black foam board used by sign makers. It's very easy to cut, stiff so it sits exactly the shape the original mud flaps were designed to sit without any support brackets like the original ones used and looks like the original mud flaps to the casual onlooker. I used 3 mm thick and found it strong enough but you can get thicker material if you wish.

I made mine about a inch or so shorter then the originals to help them blend in a bit more.

You could use the same material for your 'engine bay mud shields' too.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Old flexi fuel filler pipe, not in great nick. Red beneath the surface?

While I was under there I noticed my lower suspension arms were thin, and there was a hole right through in one place. Decided I should fit my nice shiny ones that I actually bought for the HB.

Swapped out my very low Corsa springs for some second hand Viva ones as well. Sits a lot higher now but I like it. I can now also go to Tesco, the car used to bottom out at the giant speed bump they put at the entrance but no more!
I forgot to take a picture of the new ride height though. I will be looking at getting some front springs as well as mine have had a coil chopped which I'm not keen on.

The boot floor fuel pipe grommet is past it too. If I remember rightly, somebody has used a Morris Traveller one at some point with success? (Suspect it was you David!)

Edit: It was not David who had used a Traveller fuel filler grommet, it was ChrisMC on Joe's Firenza!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 am

Looking good. Yes it was Chris in Joe's Firenza. i have a couple of spare original ones but I'm keeping them. They are the same as FD Victor if anyone is looking for one at an autojumble.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Previous

Return to Restoration