HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HC Tidy Up (MOT Passed!)

Postby Kraken » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:56 pm

Well Beigey was treated to a wash (first of the year?), a T-Cut to the top half, and a spray of Greased Lightning. Don't think I've ever spent as long cleaning a car as I did that day...

Looks the best it ever has in my possession.

Now sporting a pair of Alleycats on the front as two of the Compomotives were the wrong PCD.

I've done a couple of 25 mile journeys with no running problems. Did I fix something? I can't remember?? :oops:
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:08 am

Looking really good, I love the simplicity of it, very clean with a nice stance :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:33 pm

I went out to a local show today. On my way there I caught up with a pair of Chevettes, a blue one and a green one - both owned by the same person. A mile away from the show the green Chevette broke down and had to be abandoned. A real shame, it would have been nice to have arrived in a Vauxhall convoy. Beigey and the blue Chevette were the only two Vauxhalls at the show. There were two Opels though, a Kadett B, and a Commodore A coupe (both absolutely lovely).

I didn't even have any tools to help with the Chevette, as I now have that much confidence in Beigey 8)

I then returned home and replaced my clutch fork spring, and swapped out my old split engine mounts for new ones - thanks Fred!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:10 pm

Went to New Deer show yesterday.
Came away with 2nd place! :shock:

Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:15 am

Well done. Great to get recognition for all your hard work. :hourra:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks.

I thought I’d finally got all running problems sorted but now I’m not so sure... drove 35 miles trouble free, stopped for half an hour, drove another 10 miles and then had it idling for a couple of minutes... then it conked out and wouldn’t start again. Checked and there was no fuel in the fuel filter.. Turning the car over the filter would fill up but the car wouldn’t start. When I stopped turning it over the fuel filter emptied almost immediately.

Half an hour later it started and ran no problem.

I was thinking maybe the fuel tank vent is partially blocked, the tank is building up a vacuum and pulling the petrol back to it? But I’m not sure, seems strange that it only conked out when it was idling?
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:25 pm

It is hot outside at the minute, so could it be vaporisation? Also, all the hose clips will have expanded a bit and loosened off, this may cause an air leak which will cause any suction the pump has created to drop when the engine is switched off and fuel will drop back down the pipe. I would check that the hose clips are tight.

To check if the breather is blocked take off the filler cap, that will release any vacuum if there is any.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:46 pm

I forgot to mention that I took the filler cap off when it conked out, and bounced the back of the car to make sure I could hear petrol in it (in case my fuel gauge is dodgy) so that would have released a vacuum if there was one.

Fuel pipes in the engine bay are all brand new, so I will double check the tightness of the clips.

I’m wondering now if maybe the mixture was a bit rich, causing it to get too hot when idling, and then with expansion the valves wouldn’t open fully? I don’t know... I’ve leaned off the mixture a 1/4 turn and it’s sat idling on the driveway happily for 20 minutes with the temp gauge sitting nicely at half way so I guess that’s good. Will get out for another drive tomorrow hopefully to see how it runs.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Engine bay is looking a it tidier now. New heater hoses and grommet, and a general clean up.

I removed the inner wing liner panel to do some repairs to it. While I was under there I decided to remove the old underseal to see what horrors lay beneath...

A pleasant surprise! Wish I hadn't bothered removing it now, feels like a waste of time. Hey ho, at least I know now. I didn't strip away the very front, as there's a bit of damage to the lower wing, and the front valance has some paint bubbling low down, and I think if I start poking around then things will only get worse. That's a job for later!

On the inside of the wing after scraping away undeseal I found what looks to be 4 spot welds in a row? Any idea why these are here? Arch doesn't look to have been replaced and I can't think of any other reason for them.

Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm going to make up new mudflaps, probably using the Demon Tweeks material that Fred has mentioned in the past.

While I'm at it I was thinking of making up some new ones of these mat things that stop muck being thrown off the wheels towards the engine bay (not sure what they're called). Has anybody made any before, and if so, what did you use?
Attachments
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration