1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

1970 GT

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:38 am

hello everyone,

here's my 1970 hb gt, been standing a good few years and hopefully i will have it on the road within 2 months after some solid hard work.
Sorry i haven't got any pictures of the whole of the car, i will get some upload tomorrow.
Iv'e started repairing the lower sections of the rear wings, using repair panel sills for the hb and they seem to do just the treat! as long as you get the rounded back correct.
as from the pictures, i still have a bit more to weld on there, but hopefully i should have that side welded/filler'd and primed by tomorrow after noon.
pictures are a bit poor, due to it getting dark outside and My eyes are fuzzled as both of my welding masks have decided to pack up :angrywife:
anonymous photo sharing sites
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: 1970 GT

Postby jpsmit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:25 am

Impressive speed! keep the pics coming!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby kriswalsh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Job job getting stuck in..
Did you cut all the rust out or just weld the repair over the top?
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:48 pm

kriswalsh wrote:Job job getting stuck in..
Did you cut all the rust out or just weld the repair over the top?

I haven't cut all the bad out, as i tried to grind all the rust off and use the bad as a bit extra strength behind the panel thats been put on. I tell you what it's been a heck of a day!
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 pm

I have just some minor things to finish on the arch, put i painted it in red oxide just to protect it from the damp ect.

I would highly recommend anyone to use a sill for that rear section if they haven't got the actual panel for it. Takes a bit of adjustment, but it will work and looks alright!

Iv'e uploaded some pictures of the rest of the car, but i have recently found a lot more filler/ fibreglass areas...
I'm no perfectionist as i use filler myself for some minor holes, but the ones i have come across, have been big enough for a midget to climb through :lol:
If anyone was reading the thread i made in the general questions section, i mentioned about oiling the water pump as i thought it was screetching really bad... well it turned out to be the alternator and when i had it running a couple of days ago, it screetched that bad, it ended up seizing :( but luckily i have a few spare and had it changed within 10 minutes.
Also i know a few people wont like this, but i will be respraying the car red as i'm not much of a fan of green, but i will be removing the black from the bonnet and around the rear number plate.
free image hosting ebay
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:12 pm

That rear quarter looks pretty good, James.

There's nothing wrong with changing the colour but it might be nice to do it in the correct Monza red colour for the year - if you want original spec that is. For 1970 it would have still had the black rear panel - but not the matt black bonnet.

Here's the Vauxhall Heritage Centre's newly restored 1970 Mk II Viva GT in Monza red with correct Tasman orange stripes (colour changed by Vauxhall Heritage from Sebring silver just last year!)
Attachments
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

Colin wrote:That rear quarter looks pretty good, James.

There's nothing wrong with changing the colour but it might be nice to do it in the correct Monza red colour for the year - if you want original spec that is. For 1970 it would have still had the black rear panel - but not the matt black bonnet.

Here's the Vauxhall Heritage Centre's newly restored 1970 Mk II Viva GT in Monza red with correct Tasman orange stripes (colour changed by Vauxhall Heritage from Sebring silver just last year!)

Hi colin thanks for your input, here is some more pictures of the work carried out today. I will be spraying the car myself but my problem is, when I go to the paint shop they will ask me for something to go by, for them to make the paint up and as I haven't got anything in monza red, what would be the next best thing to do?
I'm going to try finish the rear drivers arch tomorrow as I ran out of time today. I really do need to get this car done by 2 months time as I promised my dad I'll have he's on the road for summer :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 am

jamezz666 wrote:I haven't cut all the bad out, as i tried to grind all the rust off and use the bad as a bit extra strength behind the panel thats been put on.

That's OK, as long as you've effectively killed the rust from the section of the panel that you left in place. If it's still rusting, it'll carry on rusting. I fitted new sills on my Sportshatch when I first had it, and didn't do a proper job of killing the rust on the old sills - by the time I got it back, the rear quarter panels had carried on rusting back to the point where they no longer met the top of the new sill section. Took 20-odd years, mind.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Colin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:05 pm

jamezz666 wrote:
Hi colin thanks for your input, here is some more pictures of the work carried out today. I will be spraying the car myself but my problem is, when I go to the paint shop they will ask me for something to go by, for them to make the paint up and as I haven't got anything in monza red, what would be the next best thing to do?
I'm going to try finish the rear drivers arch tomorrow as I ran out of time today. I really do need to get this car done by 2 months time as I promised my dad I'll have he's on the road for summer :D

Hi James,

Wow, you're really forging ahead with those body repairs! Good luck with it as ever.

The Vauxhall paint code for Monza red was simply '2RD'. It was used for several years so a paint shop may be able to make it up from that code. Paint and trim codes are all available from our VVOC website technical details section, in this case by following the links through to this page -
http://www.vauxhallviva.com/?page_id=311

Or for further advice it might be worth getting in touch with Andrew Boddy at the Vauxhall Heritage Centre - 01582454666 (I'm not sure of the extension number - but ask for the Heritage Centre)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby rizzo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Good progress there James, dont forget to allow for the fact it is afterall a HB so what rust you can see, double it :D
its a bit like building a house nothing ever goes to plan. but im sure you will reach your goal. only kidding.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration