1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1970 GT

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:32 am

kriswalsh wrote:You should have a look on ebay, someone is selling some rostyles for a viva for £150.

I'll have to wait at the moment on looking for wheels, as my daily driver has just failed dramatically on it's mot and now i have to spend on that :(
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:43 am

I have to say the pictures always make it look 10x better, but i will say i'm no body work person but hopefully it looks ok'ish when it's up and painted... i'm one of those who can get a job done, just not to perfection :lol: but the main aim of the game is for me to have it rockin 'n' rollin within 2 months time so yup, i'm still at it charging through :) At the moment i'm waiting on my welding wire to come through the post so i can get the spare wheel well finished and once that's done, i'll be jumping onto the doors.
Within the time of waiting around for the filler to dry out, i thought i'd have a mooch through all my spares to see if i had a new oil filler cap knocking about, as the one on it was leaking bad and had a rag used under it as well, which i assume was to make it seal better, but instead peed out oil everywhere... so i found another cap, but it was as a tight fit like the one i removed (so both of them wasn't that tight). Was it a common thing for these engines to have slightly lose oil filler caps and to leak from them? as i read somewhere that these engines was terrible for something to do with the oil... either that they used lots or leaked the floods of Noah :lol:

fb picture uploader
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby glenn93 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:48 pm

I am not that good at body work always try to do it to quick, but someone told me years ago when rubbing down filler, is when you run your hand over the filler to feel if its even is to close your eyes and rely on just the feel and you will get a better finish
glenn93
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am

On the oil filler cap, you can tighten them up a bit by bending the two fixing tabs down a little, or by putting a new piece of rubber in the cap. I think there are a few other caps that will fit. I must say I don't get a lot of oil leaking from the cap on mine.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamezz666 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Iv'e been really busy with other things lately, but i have got round to getting some more work done! i started to remove the dark glossy red paint, which has became a real bugger to shift... even with 40 grit on top speed on my orbital sander :shock: but that came to a stand still as i thought it would be best to finish the welding first before carrying on with sanding, so i got started on the door pillar and as you can see it's in a bad state as it's rotted through both skins and the strengthening... ( i forgot to get pictures of the post currently) i got the door jacked up to level (which is actually off a few mm but still opens and closes with minor force) and i started to plate it up just to give it strength for the time being until i can get some oxygen and acetylene to heat the door pins up to remove the door and get welding that side of the post up. There was an old sun news paper used to cover a hole up under the floors padding :lol:
the spare wheel well is plated up and ready to be coated in something... was thinking black paint to cover up the not so nice looking welding i did :wink:
just to note to anyone curious, i'm only patching the car up as best as possible, so i can get it on the road as soon as possible, but i'll be trying to make the outside look as best as possible!
I'll also be making up my exhaust myself and i'll be going with a twin exhaust in a similar design to how the mk1 had it but without the 4 tips out the back, but instead have two 2" angle cut exit pipes

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:25 pm

So i finally removed the door after following someones advice on how to remove them, just i have it in mind it's going to be a bugger to repair :cry:

Only joking folks :lol: i got annoyed at the hugely rotten/ half made of filler door... so i decided to lob it off, kepping the hinge thats attached to the post in good nick. I have a couple of passenger replacement doors thankfully :D

here is the door post and the pins fell straight out :D

image upload no limit
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Oh boy that doesn't look good whats going on higher up, where did the water get in?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Them patches you see on the front, are from me :lol: the post is just all plates now, which I'll update with a photo tomorrow. The pillar was that bad it was either chop the complete pillar out or stick as many plates over as possible. I haven't found where the water was getting in, but I know near every hole in the body was just fillers. .. the sills are heald on with a mix of filler and some sort of hard paste :?
I'll get it done though! Maybe not look the best, but aalong as I can drive it within 4 weeks :lol:
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:06 am

If they're anything like HC, the pillars are double-skinned and some of the trouble comes from moisture sitting between the two skins. And it's very difficult to get to the gap between the skins to put any kind of wax in it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

droopsnoot wrote:If they're anything like HC, the pillars are double-skinned and some of the trouble comes from moisture sitting between the two skins. And it's very difficult to get to the gap between the skins to put any kind of wax in it.

From what i can see there is an outer and inner skin, with reinforcement for the hinges, but the problem with my car, is the reinforcement has even rotted through...
I'm going to try get grease or something amongst all of it before i fit the door back on
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration