1970 GT

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: 1970 GT

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:17 pm

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Been a while since i updated, but due to bad weather nearly every single day, i haven't had the chance to touch the car :(

but i have removed the exhaust system and as you can see, it's not much of a clever design but i will be using it as a template when i come to make a new exhaust, but i will be doing it like the original mk1 twin exhaust with a Y piece joining two pipes and not like what you can see in the photo.

Also i have spent a lot of time sanding the body with nearly removing all the black from the bonnet! took a lot of clogged up sanding discs removing what i can only describe as the old coach paint and as for sanding i have got to finish the drivers door, sill, rear valance and then i will be removing the front bumper to sand the front valance, then it will be time for the glass to come out :)

I will be resprayng the car after i have made up an exhaust and repainted items underneath along with wax oiling the underneath. If anybody is interested, i use hammerite direct to rust paint for underbody parts, which works really well, all you have to do is wire brush the loose stuff off the parts and then you paint directly to the rust. I'll get some pictures up of the painted parts in a couple days.

also how do you drain the axle oil? i could only find a filler nut and also what oil does it need?

thanks

upload my pics
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am

Magnum Force wrote:Nice work James , i guess your itching to get out and about this year in your car to :). Can't help on the axle oil plug but if your suffering with clogged da discs try Mirka Autonet as they are a different composition to standard da discs and don't clog as easy. Really good for filler work to. Just don't be fobbed off with Abranet discs at £47 a box. autonets come in a £17 per box.

Will keep my fingers crossed for a spate of dry weather. Keep the pics coming :)

Thanks for the comment :) i nearly pooped myself reading the £47 per box of Abranet discs :lol:, i'll have to look into Mirka Autonet as it does get rather annoying when they clog, as i find if you don't noticed they've clogged, you then end up making smudge marks... I'm working like hell to get it on the road for this summer :lol: as iv'e never driven a viva on the road before, bar when i took the gt and the other 2 out side for a slow drive in 1st/ 2nd and even that fealt amazing! so i've set myself to have it done. The biggest problem is weather :(
Anyway i will keep it updated as i go along and good luck with your car, i'll have a look at your restoration thread later :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbr341 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi James
You have to remove the diff cover to drain the oil you can make a new gasket up i used a hole punch to make all the bolt holes then refit the cover and fill up with ep90 gear oil until it runs out of the filler hole hope that helps.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:16 pm

hbr341 wrote:Hi James
You have to remove the diff cover to drain the oil you can make a new gasket up i used a hole punch to make all the bolt holes then refit the cover and fill up with ep90 gear oil until it runs out of the filler hole hope that helps.

Regards Chris.

Thanks for that chris, i'll keep it in mind to come back to your post, when i get round to draining it out :D

thanks
James
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Been a while since i updated, to which i haven't really gotten far since i last posted, but while digging through the body, i found (which i thought was solid mud) lots and lots of filler :lol: the wings id say is 20/30% filler :lol:. I cleaned down calipers/ suspension parts/ axle/ drums and repainted them in Hammerite Direct to rust. Not the best job in the world as it's surprisingly a bit of a bugger cleaning parts up while on the car, but it looks better than it did 8).
When it come to removing the front bumper, i noticed the dreaded bumper mount bracket had gone and i have never repaired one before, even though on my other 2 hb projects the same has gone for them but on both sides and to be honest it was easier than i thought it would be. I found myself some thick gauge steel, drilled two holes through it and then welded two nuts onto the steel, then i welded that in place of the old mount.

Then came removing the trim off the old door :shock: and by god did i poop the wall of china trying not to damage them! If anyone has a GT and they plan on removing the trim without the proper tooling, find your self a piece of 1x1 wood/ a mallet and tap the clipped edge of the trim out away from the frame, as one side of the trim is hooked and the other side is clipped/indented. I didn't get any photo's at the time as i had my dad nattering at me to come get my dinner and an annoying cob web caught on my face while i was battling the trim, so i just didn't think to get any :lol:

But here is some pictures of it currently! i'm using mg rostyle wheels and it's a real shame as the tread on all tyres are like brand new, but all side walls have split right through :x

free picture hosting websites
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:12 am

Magnum Force wrote:I did wonder how you were coming along with your car. Suspension looks a lot better for a coat of paint.
Are you giving the inner wing area a coat of Hammerite underbody sealer with waxoyl. One of my favourites in the world of black gooey stuff :D

haha i keep getting caught up doing other things, like today i was going to do some more work to the gt, but i ended putting some more slabs down at the back of my gold hb! to be honest i got the scraper out and started to take all the old scabby sealant away, then i painted part of the inner wings in direct to rust black paint but i ran out of the stuff :lol: It's not cheap either ! a wopping £23 for a 250ml or 500 can't remember now haha.
How's your car getting on?
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Seems a lot went missing after the server went down :( the GT is in doors and i'll upload some images which i posted last week.
I'm currently working on her now and Christmas Day i'll be having my dinner with her in the Unit... honestly i'm being serious :lol: just hoping my Kerosene lasts for the heaters, as i forgot to pick some up before closure :angrywife:
hopefully after christmas, i will have the rest of the exhaust made up and i'll be jumping onto them wing ends 8)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi James, I admire your spirit and determination. Hope to see you at Market Harborough in July, keep up the good work.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:08 pm

cooperman wrote:Hi James, I admire your spirit and determination. Hope to see you at Market Harborough in July, keep up the good work.

HI and thanks for the comment! hopefully i'll be there :D I've never been to a car show before, so it would be a completely new experience, if i was to take the hb. I think i read some where it's £40 to stop over night?
Just be great to meet some new people and see there cars :)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration