Hinge pins??? Help

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Hinge pins??? Help

Postby eurorob » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

Hi guys, I'm trying to locate some hinge pins but have been unable to find any, could someone point me in the right direction or does anyone know of any that are a direct fit from another vehicle
eurorob
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Re: Hinge pins??? Help

Postby hbr341 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi
Give Adrian Miller a call i had my last set from him.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 am

After having a stressful time removing my stuck hinge pins on my HB wagon I replaced them with some high tensile (12.8) capscrews and nylock nuts. They were an imperial size I think. Cant remember the size though but you'll find it. with them both in place and well greased there is no discernible amount of slack present. Now it'll be nice and easy to remove a door if need be. It'll take ages for them to wear out and can be easily replaced anyway.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 am

Did you get screws long enough to ensure that the part that hinges isn't on a threaded section? It may not be relevant in a door hinge.

It turns out I used a screw some years ago in place of a clevis pin in my clutch linkage, and was quite surprised at how much the linkage had worn due to the cutting nature of the thread in contrast to the smooth edge of the correct pin. Mine would just have been a random screw I had around, so I've no idea what kind of strength it was. I'm not sure how to compare the loads between a clutch linkage and a door.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby yoeddynz » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:42 am

Yeah seem to remember them being just long enough that the threaded part started in the right place.

The top bolt has to be pushed in from underneath and requires a person to help hold the door but still easier than smacking stuck pins out. One of my pins was so bad I had to cut a slot down the tube and relieve the pressure so I could punch the pin out, then weld slot up.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 pm

I found that the original hinge pins were the same diameter as solid 1256 pushrods so you could measure one and get a bolt the same diameter. I temporarily used a pushrod in the bottom hinge of my car during the build until I found the correct pin.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Ha- cool. The things we learn :-)
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I've got a bit of mare with an HB hinge pin at the moment.

Following advice, after a couple of weeks of WD40 soaking, I used a puller tool to try extract the lower hinge pin.

Unfortunately, on being pulled the hinge pin snapped in the middle - leaving the lower two thirds in place. I then of course had no option but to try to push the remainder out through the bottom - there being no space underneath to push it up from below.

Needless to say this too has failed resulting only in a distorted hardened steel pusher tool shaft and no doubt a distorted remaining piece of broken hinge pin still in situ...

I'm still scratching my head about this one. The only solution I can think of would be to make a narrow vertical cut through the lower section of the hinge to release the broken piece seized inside - and then of course to weld it up again around the new replacement hinge pin...

Any less intrusive helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated... :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby yoeddynz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am

That is pretty much what I did on the wagon. Just a neat cut down the tube with a 1mm cut off disc and then knocked the pin out. Weld back up afterwards. Strong as.

If worried about the weld penetrating into the hole you can put a rod of alloy or copper the right diameter inside before welding. It'll prevent the weld going in too far.
yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Good tip Alex. Thanks. :)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration