Questions especially for Stefan!

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Questions especially for Stefan!

Postby jpsmit » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Working on the brakes and I have a few questions.

1. Servos - Stefan as you are likely the only other one with them - how do they acually attach? I have a location picture but, the "tank" of the servo doesn't allow the brackets to sit fluch - or am I missing something. (remember this is an SL body originally so - no holes. :(

2. Related to this - in the picture attached there is a hose - each end of the "Y" attaches to one of the servos - and the "stem goes to the manifold. - In the middle is a metal bracket - any idea where that goes? and how does the whole unit attach to the manifold?

thanks for this so very much! any pics would be greatly appreciated.

For everyone, I have also been working on the pedals - to sort out the MC plumbing. on one of the brackets there was a bushing of sorts (see picture) - I presume there is just one of these on the clutch side as the clevis pin doesn't fit if I put it on the brake side?

Also, when I mount the pedals to the body, is there any gasket or sealant that goes between the pedal box and the body?

Finally, a bit of translation - in the GT Service Information Manual TS982 - on page 129 where it talks about vacuum servos it says it is mounted on the left hand wheelhouse panel - is this what english speakers might call the bulkhead? or is it the inner fender? (wing?

thanks all!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Questions especially for Stefan!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:39 pm

I believe the wheelhouse is Vauxhall-speak for the inner wing panel, but hang on for a HB person to confirm.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby StefanM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am

I dont have my GT here so I can not help with measurements. They are mounted on the left hand wheelhouse/inner wing as mentioned. The brackets are the same as Viva HA.
I dont recognize the alupart on the servohose.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm

StefanM wrote:I dont have my GT here so I can not help with measurements. They are mounted on the left hand wheelhouse/inner wing as mentioned. The brackets are the same as Viva HA.
I dont recognize the alupart on the servohose.

Thanks! does anyone have a picture of the brackets?
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Bump. Still hoping for a picture of the bracket for the servos.

thanks all!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Founds them! Different from the picture I had - how many variations are there?

Not wanting to start a new thread, so, anyone know what these are and where they go?

thanks!

ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby BobbyMel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah, they're HB Viva drainage gullies, they fit under the bonnet hinges onto the inner wing
HB 368

1970 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....114 BOB
1969 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BDH819G
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....BOB 33E
1968 - Vauxhall HB Viva Estate....NHA 764F
1987 - Austin Montego 1.6L....E375 JRV
1995 - Rover 216 Coupe....N622 VOA
BobbyMel
Top Viva Spotter

Postby jpsmit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 pm

BobbyMel wrote:Yeah, they're HB Viva drainage gullies, they fit under the bonnet hinges onto the inner wing

wonderful, thanks!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 am

Back to brakes - and probably Stefan again.

I pulled out the servocs tonight and am trying to get everything in place to make sense of the lines and finish having them made. It takes me a while to get things through my noggin so, much staring and thinking is required.

This lead to a couple of observations.

1. Looking at the two master cylinders here, the astute among you will notice that they are a matched pair - one left and one right handed. Why is this? RHD & LHD makes the most sense but, I thought you didn't have dual braking systems on your side of the pond? any ideas?

2. As you look at the right hand MC, you will notice a bracket on the very end. (on the right) in this picture, you will see the bracket apart from the MC - and, by an astonishing coincidence Stefan, this is the very bracket I asked you about earlier - though how it got on the hose I have no idea.

do your cars have this bracket - spacer would be a better word?

3. Finally, (again probably Stefan since I don't think you have this circuit on UK cars?) the brake union/switch splitter dohickey thing:

Am I correct that the right hand side is for the front brakes? In on one side out the other side and the end - tow lines one for each caliper? and therefore, the left hand side is for the rear brakes - in one side and out the other, single line to the back?

4. AND while on the topic of brake union dohickeys, please note in this final picture that there are two thread sizes on the unit - ImageUntitled by John-Peter Smit, on Flickr
Am I correct that the brake lines themselve would simply have different sized ends as the MC has one small one big also, but, the servos are the same (small) both fittings on both servos.

Does any of this make sense? can anyone offer wisdom?

thanks all! and cheers
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby StefanM » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 am

I will try to have a look on my car as the pipe routing concerned but if you have some spare mastercylinder I am very interested. My car does not have the original one at all.
If I dont remember completely wrong the pipes must exit at left side. The cyl is extremely tight at the cylinder head......
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Next

Return to Restoration