Different seat bases in a hc viva?

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Different seat bases in a hc viva?

Postby daveyc123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:35 am

Hi guys I bought some new (second hand) seats for my 74 hc. They have different bases and fixings to the old seats. I googled if viva seat and a picture of a seat with the different bases came up. I assume there was a crossovet year? Or perhaps they are hb seats? Basicaly I would like to know what is needed to fit the new seats. New seats are the second picture. Old seats are the first picture.
Cheers guys
Attachments
daveyc123
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Different seat bases in a hc viva?

Postby jpsmit » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:07 pm

From here the second picture looks very much like my HB seat bases - not sure though if there was a crossover.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:29 pm

my hc has those seat bases i think, i'm out on it today i'll check and post it up.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:01 pm

The first set with the flat runners are from the '74 model year, and second set are from the pre '74 model year. So your car is a '74, that means registered in '74 and could have been made in '73. The '74 model year ran from manufacturing date of about Nov/Dec '73. I would suggest that your car would have the single piece VAUXHALL badge between the rear lights rather than the red Griffin of the '74 model year cars.

The newer seats can be fitted and the easiest way is to get the additional panels which are welded to the later shell floors for the outer runners and the pressed metal supports bolted to the floor for the inner runners. Your carpet will need to be altered.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jackrs2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:14 pm

the floor pans are all the same the later cars have an extra hump welded to the floor where the seat runners bolt to either cut it off flush or drill out the spotwelds an remove them the other bracket just bolts to the floor as long as you have the 3 mounting brackets you can drill holes and bolt the new seats in
jackrs2
Club Chairman

Postby lord13 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 am

My '73 HC has different seats to either one you have pictured, but is closer to the lower pic, but as people have said, both types will fit, you'll just have to modify slightly.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby daveyc123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for your replys! I have contacted the guy i bought the seats from. Hopefully he has the parts I'm missing.
daveyc123
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Restoration