HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby lord13 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:15 am

Hi all, I've had a very difficult month, I wont go into details, but to say it's been hard is an understatement, and is still ongoing unfortunately, but between one thing and the other I managed to secure a new project ( thank you for all your help Fred), and here she is, as delivered.

I've only really managed a quick inspection, but overall she's pretty good, requiring, (as far as I can see at the moment), minimal welding.

nice to see this area is good

Heater box and stuff missing . . .

Most of the interior is in serviceable condition. . .

Odd front panel, with two round holes rather than the usual square recess, or vent as in after market GT front valences . . .

and drum brakes. . . with servo? not an option if i recall, though correct me if i'm wrong . . .

Oh and various bits and bobs missing, trim mainly, which I believe Mr Bottomley relieved the old girl of before i got it, I knew he'd done this I'm not moaning :) Although I could've done with the SL trim around the rear lights and the GT vent trim as they are like hen's teeth grrrr :mrgreen:

Anyway, engine turns smoothly by hand and seems to have some compression so that's good news, I've stripped out the interior now ready for some repairs and tidying up, I also have been given a contact, (again, thankyou Fred), that could be a very good source of spares, although I now have to find a flat for my son (due to the aforementioned difficulties) so I may have to pass on those for a while . . . we will see.

Well, that's where we are for the moment, if I get a chance today I will get out there and inspect the underside, suspension and brakes. updates will follow.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby Kraken » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:07 am

She looks very good. I'm very jealous of those inner wings!!

Reversing light is in a different place from mine though, mine are both below the bumper.
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:40 am

Ah yes, so they are. Mine look to be the correct type as per the 'optional extra' stuff you could get at the time, like yours, just in a different place. . . I don't like them where they are but I doubt i'll move them.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Oh and various bits and bobs missing, trim mainly, which I believe Mr Bottomley relieved the old girl of before i got it, I knew he'd done this I'm not moaning :) Although I could've done with the SL trim around the rear lights and the GT vent trim as they are like hen's teeth grrrr :mrgreen:

Those were long gone before i got my grubby mitts on it ;)
pbottomley

Postby rizzo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Looks like you've got the bargain of the year there, glad it stayed in house so to speak. :D
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:06 am

pbottomley wrote:
Those were long gone before i got my grubby mitts on it ;)

Ahh ok Mr B. I stand corrected :)

Went under it yesterday and found an important piece missing . . .
any one got a spare?

Also I had alook at the front brakes, stripped them down and inspected them, pretty good condition really, not totally clogged up. I will probably replace the cylinders anyway just to be on the safe side but for now i just cleaned them up, smeared a bit of copper grease in the relevant areas and gave them a quick lick of paint.

lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby VivaPete » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Great to see a rare 4-door in good condition Monza Red. A rare bonnet too. Look forward to the progress pics.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 pm

It looks pretty solid. It's going to be a nice car. Well done for saving it lord13. :respekt:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks for the encouraging comments :)

Bit of work done . . .

Boot lid was in a terrible state
Inside was bad too, cut out the major rot...
Repaired the outer edge, not greatly pretty welding, I will tidy it up somewhat, but this boot lid is never going to be rot free, so this is a quick repair that will suffice for when/if i get replacement.

I've also secured a propshaft for the project and today I will be heading to stoneliegh restoration show to find some bargains hopefully.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 am

Well, it's been a while, but I have been busy ish...
The front door cards of this lovely beast were shot, twisted, water damaged, split etc so I thought to myself, I can't do any worse than try to repair these as they are totally gone anreplacements are so difficult (impossible) to find. So I embarked upon stripping them down . . .
Here is one before I started...bit of a mess as you can see...

all the vinyl is off

carving off the hardboard..hell of a job, best tool for it? a bread knife! anything sharper or more flexible seemed to dig in to the foam and deflect the cut down through it.

even so it was a difficult job..,

A template was made...

secured to two sheets of hardboard and cut round . . .

and I have two cards . . .

Secured to the actual card with glue..

One card needed extra foam...it was in a right state...

And new vinyl was secured with glue and upholstery staples..

A few lumps and bumps unfortunately, I may take the vinyl off and do it again, depends if I can level it out a bit more...but 10 times better than they were dontcha think?
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Restoration