HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

This is an area for discussion about Restoration issues.

Re: HB SL 4 door RNJ 835G

Postby Johnboy HB » Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 pm

One of the problems of owning an unusual car, some people seem to take great delight in pointing out things that either aren't right or in there mind aren't right, I'm proud of my last restoration, but it's not been done by a professional so it's not 100% perfect, but I'm more than happy with it,
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby cooperman » Wed May 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Enjoy it for what it is, and it's your car anyway!
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I know I know ... my fault for posting pictures i guess ;) :D :D :D
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Kraken » Wed May 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Looking good at the show, shame about the running troubles...

Tumble weeds are often thrown into threads because people like myself feel they don't have anything to add, personally I feel a bit daft when all I have to contribute is "looking good!" so i don't comment too much.

(I have just realised I started this post with that exact phrase)

Anyway, you've taken a rare car and put it back on the road. You should be proud of yourself!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 am

My 'mard' wasn't really about anything on here, although it read that way I know, It was mainly about certain posts on Facebook.... but yeah I do get a little disheartened about the lack of responses. I kinda expect this sort of thread to be more of a disjointed long winded conversation... maybe I should ask more questions eh? Let's give it a try....

On driving this lowly beast I notice that 40mph seems to be where it wants an extra gear, and anything after that it starts to 'scream' a little. I have driven plenty of OHV vivas and I don't quite recall them being this bad, I always remembered them being ok up to around 50 before it got too revvy. Does anyone know anymore history of this car, could it have been an auto at some point or has someone swapped in an auto axle? I only ask because acceleration is pretty brisk but it runs out of steam at 40, if my memory serves me correct, other OHV vivas I have driven, weren't so quick but could manage 50-60 without screaming. Could I have a 4.1 diff rather than a 3.9? Would that make so much of a difference?
I also have a HA axle, what diffs did they have and are they interchangeable with the HB axle?

Are my 13 inch wheels upsetting the delicate balance of the gearing? I don't recall this happening before on other vivas i have driven but i was younger back then and didn't care so much ;)

I could ask the internet at large but it's full of lies and i'm trying to promote discussion on here ya know ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby redfirenza » Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 am

not much to add on the running but ive given up with a lot of the aftermarket condensers as they seem to be very hit and miss, some work/some work for a bit/others don't work at all! try and get a genuine AC Delco one if you can or change to electronic ignition! the other thing is the little earthing cable under the points/condenser base plate very very common for this to break as its on the move all the time with the vac advance operation so you get faults at different rpm
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Thu May 31, 2018 1:26 pm

My '90' has the 4-1 ratio axle ( presumably ) and 12" wheels and it seems happy up to 60 mph, after that it starts to get harsh
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby rizzo » Thu May 31, 2018 5:56 pm

I agree when you take the time to write up a thread it does seem pointless at times when you get little response if at all. I think we all like reading the threads and viewing the pics but as Kraken points out sometimes we have little to offer in reply. I must admit i wondered about carrying on with my thread, but figured its all viewing and reading that might help or inspire someone to crack on with their own project.
keep on posting i say were all watching.

My HB has 13in rims and the tyre rolling radius is as near as dammit to the 12" crossplies and is quite happy at 56 - 60 mph, which is as much as i take it too, anything over gets a bit screamy, not sure what the axle ratio is but it will be original.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 pm

You've got a 1256 engine in it haven't you? Have you tried changing into 4th? ...... :lol:

Seriously though, your issued do seem like weak spark. Alright when ticking over and light throttle but not so happy under pressure. Check points, condensor (already swapped and ruled out) coil resistance, coil wiring for possible accidental reversal, timing, base plate earth connection in the distributor, all ignition wiring, plug leads...... the list seems endless.

There are reports of very poorly fitting rotor arms which wiggle about causing the spark to jump across two terminals in the cap, Oh, check the cap too and the carbon button inside.

On the one of the other points of your post, over the past year or so there has been a definite drop off replies to all posts on the forum due to the instant and easily forgettable nature of FB. There are only a few of us stalwarts who regularly post and the conversations do seem to be one sided at times.

Now the third point.... The replies and comments on FB posts and photos tend to be from those who either don't have a car of your model and jealously run it down to make themselves feel superior or guys who had a car like yours and now wish they still had their old car and view it through very rose tinted glasses and believe it was somehow better than yours!

My wife drove our white Minor Traveller as a daily for 20 odd years, it was never garaged, drove in all weathers and got repaired and improved when I got time and only if it could be taken off the road for the required length of time.

She was accosted by and old guy in a flat cap one day at the local shop who looked the car up and down and said "You'd think 'he' would get that car painted...." to which my wife replied "It's my car and 'he' repairs it when 'he' gets time...by the way where's your car?" The flat cap pointed to a scruffy Fiesta and my wife said "You'd think that 'she' would get that car washed ......"

By the way....it still needs painted.... and his is probably now a Chinese fridge.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Just reviewing my last post and noticed that I still haven't painted the back door hinges to match, They were only fitted about 15 years ago..... and that scrape that my daughter put on the rear wing when she was learning to drive.... it's only 13 years old now.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration